Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvasquez

MIS
Feb 28, 2001
US
I currently have Windows 2000 Advanced Server and I am trying to reload the OS again fresh to doa good system cleanup.

As Windows goes thru detecting all hardware and configurations, before it gives me the Windows look and not the DOS look it gives me this error message:

. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
. STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x82446550,0x000000FF,0x00000000,0x8237DE50)

What does this mean and how do I track this error message.
Bear in mind that this happens only when I try to reload the Operating System.

Please help or point me to a site that can help me thanks.

I have 2100XP, with 512Corsair CL2 PC2700, ATI Radeon 64 meg Video card, WD12000 8M cache, ASUS KT333, Asus DVD and 40x CDRW

Thanks a bunch.

i would check the BIOS and get default values. This sometimes cleans up misc. errors. Also in the BIOS make sure plug and play OS is set to yes.

I would try loading the machine with bare minimum hardware if these two things fail. (i.e. Remove soundcard and nic.)

Then if this still fails try a different video card just to make sure that this is not the culprit Thanks
Erik Butler
2000 MCSE
erikbutler@centurytel.net

I have seen the same error on several WIN2K workstations. While I started out with the obvious such as AV software and other drivers, I was led to the non-obvious. I was also getting errors reading the CD-Rom so I replaced it. Turns out, I had a bad memory chip.

very good point that is why i suggested removing all other hardware. I did forget to mention trying different ram. Good catch.
Thanks
Erik Butler
2000 MCSE

client of mine had this error and ended up disabling some of the hardware (sound card) and uninstalling/reinstalling the connected HP printer...problem disappeared.

from the research I did, it sounds like anything from AV software to device drivers could be causing the problem (as well as, it sounds, faulty memory chips).
-Drew

Thanks averyone. I will try most of these options today. The last thing I can remember adding to my machine was a Creative Labs sound card, The MP3 Plus model.

I will take this off and try installing the operating system that way, if all fails, I will disconnect the NIC.
Will post what happens after that.

Muchas gracias amigos.

Okay I am back with a new error message.

USBPORT.SYS caused the error this time. I am not sure why but this is what I got in addition to the general error message DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

I took of the Creative MP3 Sound Card and the 3Com Nic card and I also resetted the CMOS and made sure plug & prey was set to yes.

I feel like getting rid of the entire OS and installing a new one now. This is a pain in the butt. So I tried installing Windows XP Pro and I get the same error message.

Will wiping out the OS help me fix this problem? If so how do I wipe out Windows 20000 Advanced Server? I tried using plain WIndows 98 and doing so I can not see the C:\ drive. maybe because Windows 98 does not support NTFS..lol. Anyway, please help me in any way.

I thought at first that there was something wrong with my hard drive but I ran a test using Western Didigal HD Test verifier and everything is fine.

Thanks everyone for being very informative.

you could use a 98 boot disk and boot to DOS then FDISK the partitions and start over but keep in mind that all data will be lost. Thanks
Erik Butler
2000 MCSE

I have had trouble reformatting partitions/hard drive with pre-2000 o/s's and even utilities (Partition Magic 6.0) when the partition has W2K. I had to install the drive as a secondary drive on another machine that ran W2K. Through the Disk Manager I was able to remove the partition and reformat the drive.

It would make sense if it had been a 'dynamic drive', but I'm almost positive mine wasn't (dynamic drives use non-standard partition tables and maybe boot sectors). If you can't reformat it any other way, adding the HD as a slave to a master w2k machine may help.

Jon

another quick way is to boot to W2K cd and get to the point where it ask you about the partitions and delete them there that will clear them out no matter what the OS was on them. Even linux distros Thanks
Erik Butler
2000 MCSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back