Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Driver issues with PNY geforce 6200

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdouglas1

Technical User
Feb 19, 2005
GB
(Nvidia) PNY geforce 6200 8xAGP
AthlonXP2800+
asus a7n8x-x
512 3200 ram
windows XP SP2

hi, I bought a (Nvidia) PNY geforce 6200 8xAGP graphics card. the first thing i tried when xp picked up the new hardware was to install the latest nvidia drivers emmm, 71.89 or something it wouldnt let me install them, i forget the error message now.... something about it didnt find any drivers for my hardware or something similar. it is allowing me to use the drivers it came with on the cd, (not got a clue what ones they are like i couldnt work it out) they seem to work alright, it was just really puzzling me why it wouldnt let me update the drivers, anybody got any clues? anybody bought this graphics card and had the same problems?
any help much appreciated , thanks

cdouglas1,

If you attempted to install the nVidia Detonator driver from nVidia's web site, most likely the error that you recieved was that the driver had not passed Windows XP Logo validation.

This is typical with new software drivers, as the manufacturer is required to pay a fee for Microsoft validation on each minor revision of the driver software, and typically not each release gets this validation.

If the drivers that came with your video card work, then it's all good. You could check for updated drivers that Microsoft has validated as Windows XP certified. You could also install the unverified driver from nVidia, and simply roll back to the previous driver if you have any problems with it.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

no the error i got while trying to install nvidia's driver is:

ERROR
The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. setup will now exit.
(i tried this with a few different versions of the drivers with the same result)

i know they are the correct drivers for the card, so im really confused... i own a leadtek geforce 6600GT and before it a geforce 5700 ultra... and before that a geforce mx420, so ive been using these cards and drivers for ages... theres something up with the card, or somethign not right with my configuration, but i cant suss it out.

so it jsut wont let me install any drivers other than the one on the cd... i explored through the cd and the nvidia drivers its got on it from the read me state 76.44 , yet the newest drivers out are 71.89 which is odd...

i also said before that the drivers seem fine, but it seems to crash any time i want to play a video file, in media player, or win dvd, or real player... i also probably should have said i jsut took out a geforce 6600 from my system, i bought this card (6200) for my brother, he lives ages away so i was gonna test it my system jus to make sure it worked properly before i made the journey... emm thats all i got at the minute... im stumped... ive uninstalled and reinstalled many times... i havnt got anywhere with it...

There is a driver cleaner program for N-Vidia cards to be run before installing a new card. Unfortunatly, it has a wierd name and I changed the name on mine so I can recognize it. You should be able to Google it.

ok i downloaded some program to remove the drivers it was 'Drive Cleaner Pro' i followed its instructions to remove the drivers, after that i reinstalled and had same problem, it dosnt let me install any Nvidia's drivers, jsut the ones of the cd. And the problem with playing videos was still there. got fed up with it and put my geforce 6600 back in, installed the drivers and it works perfectly with the new nvidia drivers... videos work perfect in all... i guess il just have to install it on his system and hope for the best. Does anybody have the Nvidia) PNY geforce 6200 8xAGP id like to know if theyve had the same probs, or even if theres is running perfect on their system... anyways cheers wicker and wishdiak for trying

Hey cdouglas1
Yeah, I got an XFX 6200 just the other day and it too gave me the error with the Nvidia 7~ series drivers. The work around for it is to go to guru3d and get a modified nv4_disp.inf and put that into the decompressed nvidia driver folder and then install the driver. If you're still having problems that is...if not, don't bother. If it ain't broke...

Unfortunately I also have a problem with garbled display of my start menu and the icons near my clock. Plus the windows animations are screwy. I've tried to uninstall the drivers using Drive Cleaner, updated the bios, got a replacement card from the vendor, and hit my head against the wall a whole bunch, still to no avail. Please someone help me.
Thought I'd try this post here and then make a new post in a couple days if no one responds.
Thank you all,
-lil' Mcgraw

Cheers LittleMcGraw, hey you wouldnt mind linking me to the modiifed nv4_disp.inf you were talking about, i just aint exactly sure where it is on guru3d. il let u know how i get on once ive tried it, or if i find an alternate or better solution il be sure to post it here. Thanks for your help

Hi,
I have a G force 6 9200, and i am having the exact same peoblems as cdouglas1 and littlemcgraw.

Did you find a solution to the garbeled display yet? and where is the nv4_disp.inf. cheers

yeah i found a solution eventually, i meant to post it but forgot. I contacted PNY the maker of my card who explained to me that my card(PNY Geforce 6200 AGP), while listed as compatible with Nvidia's drivers (71.89) is not yet compatible with those drivers.

as they put it..

'The singularity is that the GeForce 6200 is not mentioned in the global version nowadays, well, it is, but the card we sell has an ID which is not logged in it.'

he said the drivers i need for the card are geforce 6 specific drivers (NVidia ones, they just dont put them on thier own site.... for reasons he didnt mention)

the compatible drivers are The 76.44 version (came on cd for me) and the newer but beta 77.50 (which work better for me) drivers.

he said the drivers would eventually be included into the regular forceware drivers offered by Nvidia on thier site, infact i checked just now and it seems theres a new version out just 2 days ago 77.72, it mentions in the release highlights Support for GeForce 6200 AGP. I havnt tried them yet, but that may solve the problem... hope that helps anybody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back