Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Driver installed but Hardware not found (Code 42)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueSparky

Technical User
May 1, 2007
GB
Hi
First vist to this site with a problem so hope that I am posting this correctly.
I had two DVD's installed on the IDE2 circuit which were working fine on Windows XP Professional, with a couple of HD's on IDE1. Then about three weeks ago I realized that neither DVD drive was operational. DVD Drives are not listed under My Computer but can be found via Control Panel/Admin Tools/Computer Admin/Device Manager albeit they are marked with a Yellow !
Right clicking and checking the properties comes up with "Driver installed but hardware not found (Code 41)". I can't remember manually downloading any new programs since last using the DVD but I have had a number of automatic downloads from various program vendors i.e Microsoft and Quicktime etc.
Have uninstalled DVD and then rebooted and used "Find new Hardware" to reinstall driver plus searched for updated driver. Still DVD marked with a cautionary Yellow !
I tried replacing the IDE ribbon cable, swapping between IDE1 and IDE2 plugs on the motherboard and installing a dedicated IDE card, plus I tried an old CD drive which was working OK when removed, all to no avail. PC will not recognize or respond to the CD or DVD drive.
Reconfigured system and current running with two HD's on IDE1 and One HD plus DVD drive on IDE2, system working OK with the exception of the DVD and the Yellow !
Tried applying the automatic "Fix" for Code 41 problems provided by Microsoft i.e. delete upper and lower registries and ended up with a "Hung" computer - the Windows XP loading window appeared with the Night Rider moving tracer and then froze. I had to restart in Safe mode to get going again.
Tried manually deleting 2 upper and 2 lower registries in various combinations and either ended up with a frozen system or a DVD marked with a Yellow !
Any ideas guys?

First mistake! Incorrest code number.
Title line should read ---- (Code 41)

What DVD and CD Burning software are you using? Can you use MsConfig or Services to stop any DVD/CD related software from loading?

Have you tried setting the Bios to any Safe Default setting, and is the Bios seeing the DVD's?

Any clues in the Event Viewer, other than those inserted when using Safe Mode?

Try using System Restore to go back to a point where everything worked.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

Will the machine boot from CD? If so you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Hi Linney
I had a couple of different DVD/CD burning programs installed but I have uninstalled them following this problem.
The Bios sees the DVD fine and correctly identifies it but I've tried restarting in Safe Mode and System Restore without any improvement.
I am reluctant to try rebooting from the DVD in the light of all the reworking that I may have to undertake to get the PC back to where it was.
I'm hoping that a gentle nudge on the side would resolve the problem rather than hitting full on with a sledge hammer - but if needs must then that is the final option.

Any repair install will only require Windows Updates to be re-installed, every thing else is saved, problem is corrupted registry settings may or may not be saved too.

This thread talks about alternative options, such as BartPE, Parallel Installs, and use of the Recovery Console. It would be interesting to know whether a bootable CD can boot while you are not in the Windows environment.

Cannot logon to winxp...losing lots of valuable documents
thread779-975236

Sounds like the Upper and Lower Filters got scrambled...

see: faq602-5358

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I agree with you Ben, but "BlueSparky" seems to have already tried that procedure. That procedure usually does fix this type of problem, perhaps he should have another go at it?

I once resolved a similar situation on my own pc several years ago by updating the chipset drivers for my motherboard...just a suggestion

Yup, Linney, you caught what I missed...

Hmmm... Possible BlueSparky may have a virtual CD app installed, ie. Nero or DaemonTools, that may have scrambled the REG up a bit...

SPTD.SYS is known (on my PC at least) to mess up, and could lead to the symptoms described... resolution was to boot into SafeMode, rename or delete said file (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers), reboot...

Sidech1's suggestion could also be tried...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Hi Guys
Just to let you know that PC will boot-up from DVD drive no problem.
I've tried all of the suggestions to date without manageing to restore the DVD drive ------------- THEREFORE -----
I resorted to the ultimate solution and placed the PC on a large boulder and hit it with a very large and heavy sledge hammmer.
Time is too precious to fuff around with a problem like this and I need my PC working so I've reinstalled Windows XP and am now in the process of recovering/rebuilding.

Thanks for your help anyway, pity we couldn't nail the problem.

To manually delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values, follow these steps:
1.Click Start, then Run, then enter REGEDIT to open the Registry Editor
2.Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class entry
3.Under the Class entry, double click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4.In the right-hand pane, click ONCE to select the UpperFilters entry
5.Make sure the UpperFilters entry is highlighted, press Delete, then Yes.
6.In the right-hand pane, click ONCE to select the LowerFilters entry
7.Make sure the LowerFilters entry is highlighted, press Delete, then Yes.
8.Close the Registry Editor by clicking File, Exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back