Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Driver Error Code 38

Status
Not open for further replies.

princesspink

Technical User
Sep 19, 2018
US
I keep having the same problem over and over with 1 driver.

The Code is 38
The Code means: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

The driver could not be loaded because a previous version of the driver is still in memory.

The driver is ASMedia USB 3.0 Controller. It is for a dell thunderbolt docking station.

Every time I unplug the computer from the Dell docking station and plug the computer back in this error happens.

It only clears up if I reboot the computer but then just happens again once I undock.

Now in Safe Mode; this does not happen and the driver works fine.

I am not sure what to do to fix this

Google just tells you to reboot but I cant be rebooting that often.

Go to device manager and manually remove it and then refresh it.

Wanebo,

I have removed it and then rebooted. still does it

I have removed it, rebooted and then reinstalled it, still does it

A couple things I would try...
[ol 1]
[li]Update the BIOS firmware to the latest revision from the manufacturer's website.[/li]
[li]Update the Intel chipset drivers to their latest release.[/li]
[/ol]

If neither solves it, post back with your Dell model along with the types of devices you have plugged into your USB ports on the docking station.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

bios is up todate
all the drivers are up to date

did not solve the problem

Computer is a precision 7720

Go to the following link:

Click "Installing drivers" to expand the section. With your laptop undocked, follow the manual driver installation steps 1-9 (some of these you've already done, I realize). Be sure to reboot at the end as instructed, then test to see if that helped.

If you're still having the issue, post back with your Windows 10 version. You can check it by clicking the Start button and typing winver. Also, you didn't say what devices you have connected to the docking station. That would be helpful as well, and I recommend you do your initial testing without ANY devices attached to the TB dock.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Did you try speaking the dell support, it seems to complete software issue as everything working fine in safe mode. Did you try to make any start up changes, boot up without any start up programmes

Adrian G,
Hosted QuickBooks and 0ffice 365 Migration Expert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back