Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Driver Address List Setup Failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

sillysyd33

Technical User
Jul 9, 2006
Lately I've been having a problem with my Internet Explorer on my Administrator user account and I'm not sure if this could be one of the problems. When I log in, it takes a little while for everything to pop up on my task bars and gadgets. Then I get a red error message saying
"Driver Address List Setup Failed". I have no idea what this means.

Then when I try to go on the internet using Internet Explorer, no web pages load. It gets stuck on "connecting" and at the bottom left of the window it says "Detecting Proxy Settings". I know the internet is working because my AIM is working and the little computer icon (near the time at the bottom left of the desktop taskbar) has the globe on. Usually when I get this error message, I can't get Internet Explorer to work.

On my secondary, non-administrator account, sometimes it will also get the "Driver Address List Setup Failed" message, but Internet Explorer still works. I have no idea what's going on. Any ideas?

Have you tried IE from Safe Mode With Networking, or using No Add-ons IE setting available in System Tools?

You could try resetting Internet Explorer settings. (Help and Support article)

"If disabling add-ons doesn't solve the problem, try resetting Internet Explorer back to its default settings. This removes all changes that have been made to Internet Explorer since it was installed, but it does not delete your favorites or feeds.

Close all Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer windows.

Click to open Internet Explorer.

Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.

Click Reset.

When you are done, click Close, and then click OK.

Close Internet Explorer and reopen it for the changes to take effect."

Never heard of that message either, makes one suspicious of a malware infection, so that might be worth a check too.

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

I've reset Internet Explorer already. But one thing that I did find out after posting the question is that the Driver Address List has something to do with my Nintendo Wi-Fi USB adapter. The firmware/driver for the adapter is relatively new for Vista, so there might be a few kinks they have to work out. It's just wierd how it doesn't seem to be a problem on the non-administrator account.

Any new ideas on what could be my problem.

I hope I don't have to logout or restart everything I can't get Internet Explorer to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back