Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drive mapping problems. Can't connect from one PC to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB55185

IS-IT--Management
Sep 7, 2005
US
I've been working on this all morning and am getting nowhere. Any help would truly be appreciated.

Two computers are in our network. I am trying to set up a mapping to the C drive of Computer2 from Computer1. Likewise I am trying to set up a mapping to the C drive of Computer1 from Computer2. Basically, we want to copy information back and forth from each C drive.

How would I go about doing this? I have tried creating a share on the respective C drives(tried C and C$), but am only able to access them when logged in as administrator of the domain on each computer. If I try logging in as the user id (Cafeuser) who is going to be performing the work on these two computers I am not able to map from one computer to the other's respective C drives. It only seems to work with the domain Administrator ID.

I checked the permissions and I gave full control to the domain CafeUser ID, but it still wont let me connect under that domain logon. I am wondering if I am missing a step here.

thanks

Hi,
IIRC, the C$ ( the administrative share ) is only functional when connected as an administrator.

Does that user need access to the ENTIRE c: drive?
If so, add the user to the Admin group...

If not, map just the directories needed..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Thanks turkbear,

Still working on it though. I have created a C and a C$ share on each of the C drives and even gave the Cafeuser id Domain Admin rights over the network. I even checked the properties/security on the computer and the Cafeuser id is listed with Full Control.

However I still cant get to the c drives. When trying to attach to the computers via the browse feature, it shows the computer but when I clock on it the C share does not appear. I can't even manually connect to it using the \\server name\c( or c$) feature.

I get an error message stating an extended error has occured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back