Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drive mapping over wan link / extrem slow performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiancaB

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2002
US
Does anyone have experience with drive mapping over a wan link?
Mapping a network drive over our wan link (1 Mbit Frame Relay connection between "Germany" and the "US") is not the problem, but the performance is unbelievable slow. It takes for example 13 min to download a file, from a Netware 5 Server, which is just 5 MB big. If I download the same file from a Windows 2000 Server it takes only 3 min.

Are your NetWare Servers connected via IPX or TCPIP. Look at your connection in the NetWare console of the Server in Germany. Does it show a TCPIP address for you, or a IPX Net number and MAC Address?

Good Luck!

I'm connected via TCPIP. Our servers are running as pure IP systems. Do you have maybe another tip for me?

Okay, lets look at some other things...

I'm assuming the NIC in the Server is 100mbit and Full Duplex... are you forcing the card AND the switch port to 100mbit and Full Duplex? Or, is it set for autosense? You may want to try setting the hardsetting the NIC and the Switch Port to 100mbit and Half Duplex.

Do you have enough Packet Receive Buffers available?

Take a look at your LAN/WAN Stats and see if there is anything that stands out.

Good Luck!

Have you got client file caching enabled? IF so try disabling it by typing the following at the console:

SET CLIENT FILE CACHING ENABLED = OFF

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back