Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drive mapping issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deruki

Technical User
Feb 27, 2004
US
We are experiencing problems with drive mappings. Our tree has only 2 servers and with either defined as preferred in the client there is still a problem. We are getting error code 8804 with the preferred server being the one where the directory is being mapped and error code 8884 where the other server is defined. The client is now the most recent, 4.90 SP2, and this problem has progressed through 4.83 SP1 and 4.83 SP3. Anyone have any suggestions?

Mike

P.S. - In separate knowledgebase articles on the Novell site I saw something about running a DSREPAIR and something about SLP. Not sure if either of those would resolve the issue but I just figured I'd mention it.

Ok problem resolved. It figures that the really dumb things cause so much grief. Upon further investigation we found that when our new accounts were created some had spaces in them. Accounts fewer than 8 characters long were affected. The corresponding home directories had the same incorrect spaces added and the login script would cause an error because the account name was correct but the home directory wasn't. We were able to determine which accounts were in error and so we deleted and re-created them. That did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back