Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

drive letter prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomh21

Technical User
Nov 17, 2004
US
hello, yesterday i installed winxp pro on a new machine. intel 3.2 northwood. seagate sata, 2 gig kingston, intel mb, plextor dvd. the hard drive has no partitions. it was assigned the letter F instead of C. this has casued a problem installing norton systemwork 2005. which seems to want to be installed to the c drive. also since i will transfer filles from another comp which has a hd disignated as letter C, id like to get this hd assigned the letter c also. is there a opportunity, if i reformat my hd and reinstall winxp pro, to make certain the hard drive is labeled C? thanks, tom.

Do you have any zip drives attached which are preventing XP allocating C to your hard drive? If you have a Zip drive installed, Windows XP Setup may incorrectly detect the Zip drive as a hard disk and assign a drive letter to the Zip drive.

XP System Partition is NOT drive C:
thread779-641371

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back