Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasbo

IS-IT--Management
Jul 26, 2002
GB
We use backup exex 8.5 to backup our windows 2000 servers. We keep getting the following message...

Drive is not responding. Backup set aborted.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

This occurs on 2 machines intermittently but often enough to fail the backup. We have looked at all the technical articles on Veritas, all the OFO permissions are correct and the network is fully 100mb switched. I'm at the end of my tether with this!! Does anyone have a clue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I too am having this same issue, but only on one server. I am running an NT network, switched as well. I have noticed that when the trough put is low the backup runs all the way through. But it takes 47 hours to do it. This only happens with the full backup.

I am having the same proble with Veritas BE 7.3. It is only happening with a particular SQL table on one of my SQL servers. I can even back up other tables on the same server OK (and I can back up that table using SQL Enterprise manager so I don't think its an issue with the table).

Anyone?

I think that I may have found a fix for my problem. I am still in the testing phase however.

According to Veritas, you should get an redirector error in the event log. Well, that never happened in my case. They insisted that it was my network. So I did a couple of simple test before I ran a sniffer to determine if I was getting packet loss.

The test that I ran that gave the redirector error was to copy a large directory, (6 gig, is what I did), that gave me the rediector error. The error that Veritas said I would get is event ID 3013. That was the one my test gave me. I researched it on M/S site and found that there is a hotfix for that exact error. I downloaded it and applied it to both servers. (The one that is running Backup Exec and the one that was giving me the "drive stopped responding" error.) I did this on the 23rd, and so far, so good. I have 2 clean backups. One was a full, and the other was a Incremental.

I believe that if you research that error, event ID 3013, you will find something simular. The above worked for my situation, but may not work in all cases, not know your network setup.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back