Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drive Image XML- Problem with VSSVC.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenoo

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
IE
I have successfully produced a Drive Image XML Image File on my XP Pro SP2 desktop but am having a problem with attempting the same on my XP Pro-SP2 laptop .

On the laptop I get the message :-

" ...Could not intiate Windows Volume Shadow Service (VSS) .Make sure VSSVC.exe is running in Task Manager....."

On both machines vssvc.exe appears under PROCESSES in Task Manager with CPU showing "00" and MEM USAGE showing 9248k on the desktop and CPU showing "00" and MEM USAGE showing 5484k on the laptop.

On the desktop and on the laptop , in Admin Tools>Services the vssvc shows "STARTED" and "Manual"

I have also tried switching the vssvc to "AUTOMATIC" on the laptop but this does not remove the message above.

Why is there this difference in two apparently similar situations with Drive Image XML operation here ?

Also how do I "...make sure VSSVC.exe is running ...."

I never use drive image but since no-one has responded i will attempt. Just keep in mind its pure guesses on my part.
First off, though, you might google your error messages and get some help there.

How about checking the bios of each computer and note the differences. There may be something there that has to be turned on or off. A guess of course.

Same with msconfig. There could be a file that needs to run as soon as the computer boots into windows. If this file you have listed is in msconfig but not checked off, that could be it. Again, not likely, but worth a look.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Thanks garebo - will try out these links

sorry i cant be of more help, hope you find an answer.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back