Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drive Image Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampal

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
I have a computer, "box A" All setup with the software I need. I install a second hard drive, do a disk copy from drive image 2002. Now that drive can be installed as the master in Box A and it boots and works fine. If I install that drive into Box B it wont boot. Am I doing something wrong. I realize that the hardware is different, and I expected to have to install some drivers. But it wont get me to the point that I can do anything. All machines are using Win2k.

Mike

How big is the new hard drive?

Some motherboards' BIOS need to be upgraded for huge (i.e. over 137 GB) hard drives in order for them to be recognized properly.

both drives are about the same. one is a 10 gig and the other is a 15 gig.

Does the BIOS recognize the drive that you are trying to install?

Yes bios reconizes the drive, it tries to boot,but hangs while stating windows.

Did you ghost it? if you did, did you change the sid?
Do the 2 boxes are the same? Like you said, if they have different hardware, ghosting it to a different one won't work as well, or work at all...

I used Drive Copy. The 2 boxes are different hardware. I didn't do anything with the sid??

Windows NT technology can cause the OS to go into kind of a panic mode when there is a major hardware change. You can try pressing [F8] when booting up, select safe mode then reinstall drivers and reboot.

Good Luck,

-Kirk

I had much the same problem. After making an image using drive image v4 and then building a new hdd using this image the new hdd was not bootable. I found the only way around this was to boot using a floppy system disk and to use fdisk.

So put the new hdd in the machine, boot to the floppy system disk and type the following command:-

fdisk /mbr - This replaces the master boot record on the copied hdd, pull out the floppy and restart the machine.

Upon doing this my machine started working perfectly, windows 2000 pro fired up and recognised any new devices and installed drivers.

There is a utility on the powerquest website to back up the mbr before trying this command (if you are worried about using fdisk). Give it a go, if it fails just make another copy and you have lost nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back