Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drive Image 2002 gives Error #1831

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenoo

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
IE
For the first time using Drive Image 2002 I am getting an error message " Deleting Image File. Error #1831. Image File not found "

This happened after copying 65% of data .( If 65% had been copied - where was it copied to if D.I. couldn't find the Image File ?? )

I have had no problems in creating Image Files with DI 2002 for several years until today .

Earlier today , after attempting the copying of an Image File on the same Hard Disk , I found later that this disk had been un-formatted ! I re-formatted this subsequently using P.M.

Can anyone explain these problems ?

Thanks for the reply garebo and for the two URL's.

I was attempting to copy the C: drive - ( 7.81 GB capacity - Used 6.74 GB - 1.06 GB Free ) - onto a 2nd internal drive ( D:) which is 120 GB capacity and is less than 20% used.

Following the advice given in the second of your two URL's supplied above , I removed the option to verify the contents of the Image File and this got rid of the Error Message and the creation of the Image File seems to have completed correctly although I haven't really tested this by trying to restore it yet .

However , I still have no idea why the original attempt to create an Image File caused the target Partition to become un-formatted ! I have been using Drive Image 2002 for over a year and have created and restored many Image Files without any problems at all .This is the first time this has happened.

The only possible variation on this operation this time was
that , just before attempting to create the image , I had defragged the D: drive and I remember being surprised to see in the Defrag analysis which you get before defragging starts that this drive was showing large areas of fragmented files inspite of this drive being more than 80% empty !

Whether that has any significance on the subsequent unplanned un-format I have no idea.

I also think that this may have been the first time I used the " verify contents " option although I can't be sure of this.

Also , following the rest of the advice in the URL above to
use Image Exporer to verify the contents of the Image File , doing this produces yet another error message , this time Error #1810 " Image File cannot be accessed "

Perhaps this indicates that the imaging has not completed normally and it will not be possible to restore it .

I wouldnt be surprised that it may not have completed normally.
Unfortunately, you will have to wait for someone with more experience than i with drive image. Im past my limitations, lol, but someone will come by.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Thanks for your contribution . I think I will probably uninstal D.I. and re-instal and see whether that will fix things.

Will post back here if successful

okay.
One last thing. Maybe wait a day. Someone else will give this a read, up to you of course.
Either way, let us know how you make out!

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back