Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drive exists but doesn't? (Windoze)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KempCGDR

Programmer
Jan 10, 2003
GB
Ok, here's my problem. My computer died while I was installing new motherboard drivers (bad!) and now won't start up at all, I get the Windows screen where it asks you whether you want to start up in Normal/Safe/etc mode (WinXP), but whatever I choose, it does a few things and then resets and gives me that screen again.

I took my drive (IDE, 20Gb) out of my computer and put it in a different one (new, but diff hardware and running Win98), and it get the following:

1) Drive is autodetected correctly in BIOS setup
2) Drive appears correctly in Device Manager, but isn't assigned a letter
3) Drive does not show up in My Computer

I have plugged it in as the primary slave and the jumpers are set right on the drive.

Does anyone know how to solve this? I am happy with just reinstalling XP on my comp as long as I can back everything up onto the other comp's HD first.

Problem solved *crosses fingers*

Someone mentioned a recovery program on another thread and it seems to be working

I would be interested in seeing what thread you found the recovery program on when you get a chance.

DarianG - You need a recovery program? (data recovery - there are many recommended, try the search facility).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back