Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drilldown 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjohnson530

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2006
US
Hello all,

I trying to learn how to develop a drilldown feature with my data using ASP and I'm wondering if anyone has any tutorial suggestions.

I'd like to be able to provide a list of hyperlinks from my db that when one is click it expands the data directly below it:
example

--Baseball db--

Teams
Rumors
News

Click on teams and the following happens.

Teams
Houston
Boston
New York
Rumors
News

Click on a team:

Teams
Houston
Bagwell
Biggio
Clemens
Boston
New York
Rumors
News

I have a feeling this is pretty easy to do, but i simply don't know where to get the info I need to learn how to do this.

One way to do it is to create the report with ALL data and hide the parts you can drill into. This can be easily done with CSS and JavaScript. Then you provide links or buttons for the user to expand the hidden parts at his or her leisure.

Another way to do this would be to use cubed reports using the SQL Reporting Services. The cubed reports are designed using the Reporting Services Reports designer, and will automatically generate drill-down reports based on your design parameters.

Sorry, I don't have any tutorials off-hand, but a search on data cubes ( should dig something up.

Take Care,
Mike

Thank you, I will look into both those options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back