Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drill thru based on multiple paramenters

Status
Not open for further replies.

KristieLee1

Technical User
Jul 13, 2009
US
Hello All. Thank you in advance for your help.

I have a drill through report. My filter on the source report is year 2008 or 2009. The drill through works, but on the target report the data only displays information for 2008, and nothing for 2009. Can you pass both years on the same parameter from the source report to the target? Sorry if my terms are not correct...

The drill through works, but only displays data for 2008 not both 2008 and 2009 in the target report.

suggestions? Thanks!!

It sounds like you have single parameters, like = instead of multi parameters like in(). You said your SOURCE has an 'or' so there's 2008 OR 2009. How could you possibly pass both?

Now let's say your source has 2008 AND 2009. You could definitely pass them IF THEY ARE A PROMPT choice and not just passing them from the line in a list. For example, if the prompt page lets the user pick 2008 AND 2009, then you pass the parameter value to the target. If you're trying to do it by clicking on a line and passing the year VALUE then you can only pass one value at a time.

Elaborate a bit on the kinds of prompts you have for the year and you'll probably get good advice.

Angela,
I think I figured it out with help of course. :)
I ended up using year(getdate()) and passing the data item value to the target report.
There is no prompt page, so nothing for the user to select. I was just trying to create drill thru's.

I am struggling with when to use pass data item value and pass parameter value.
Also, do you know what the default option does? I see default as a selection when setting up drill thru's but don't know what it does.

Thank you for helping me. I appreciate it.

You want to pass a data item when you want the PLACEMENT of the drill-through to matter. Like, I click on a row and it passes the Store Number that's in the row. There may be many store numbers in the list, but the specific one from the click is the important part.

You want to pass a parameter when a user has chosen an option (maybe "date range") and even though the date range isn't in each line of the report you want the SAME OPTION to pass through to the target.

Very often I use a combination of them. So there's a prompt page that lets the user pick the date range, then the report is a list of stores and their sales. They click a STORE NUMBER and I pass the parameter of the date range and also pass the value of the store number to get to a target report that limits the results to the right date range, the right store, and then shows a bunch of information about the sales.

You use the default option in the drill-through when you know the target has a parameter that has to be answered but you don't intend to answer it with this drill-through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back