Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drill Down with individual value levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

rg7

Programmer
May 16, 2007
AU
Hi,

I need one reports any one have any idea about the below model.
Total pass fail withheal
Group1 10 5 4 1
Group2 20 8 2 10
Total 30 13 6 11

Now in this reports when i click any where in the summary fields it shows the no. of fields.
suppose if i click 8 on group2 and pass. i want to display the 8 records with name ,id,address,etc
simillerly when is click 4 it shows 4 records on group1 and fail

it is urgent for me if any one have any solution please mail me soon.

Thanks
Ranjith

Do you already have this report and want to create the drill down effect?

Is the existing report a crosstab?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"If you have a big enough dictionary, just about everything is a word"
--Dave Barry

I think you would need 8 on-demand subreports, one set of four (total, pass, fail, withheal) for the group section and one set of four for the report footer section.

The group level subs would be linked on the group field, and the total sub would be unlimited, while the pass sub would have a record selection formula limiting records to those that pass, the fail sub would limit records to those that fail, etc.

The report level ones would have no links, but would have the same record selection criteria as the corresponding group level subs. You could set up each on-demand sub so that the on-demand subreport caption displays the summary value.

-LB

Thanks dgillz,

i have summery report with drill-down effect.but now requirment is detailed report from this summery report depands on user selection.

Thanks
rg

Thanks lbass,

i got the same solution, but in my report 13 colums and 5 group levels is there, so i need to develop the 65 on demand subreports. so i am trying for some other method to solve this.do you have any other solution for this??

if i go for ondemand subreports i can't do export of the report as per client requirments.

if suppose i go for this method i face any problems like performance,printing etc..?

Thanks for your time

rg

If you want a drilldown setup, you either have to use subreports as suggested, or allow drilldown per group level (not limited by the column values). Since drilldowns open a new report page, it would surprise me if you could drilldown after export--although I'm not familiar with all export options. I think printing would also be limited by the separate page for drilldowns. Maybe you should instead make two reports available, one with the hidden sections displayed (a detail version), and one without (a summary version). Or set up a parameter option for detail and summary, and then conditionally suppress sections based on the selected option.

-LB

I got same logic LB,after some work on this i find i odnt have problem with Export and Priniting issues.but here present problem is in production database we have millions of rows is there.so presently we are using Stored Procedure to perform calculations and filltering data.so already i am calling one sub report for sore.proc.here due to crystal limitations i cant call one more stor. proc. for drill down report in subreport. if i've go for table in the main report problem with Performance.run report is never end.so any other alternate to develope the report with out stored proecdure?

i can develop the drill down report as similer to above logic but it is bad performance in production.

please any idea

LB gave you the best advice on your options within Crystal.

If you need a different solution, consider a 3rd-party Crystal tool (see list of such tools at:
My DataLink Viewer allows you to set another formula value as a side-effect of clicking on a formula. This means that the drill-down can be combined with a conditional suppress so that only the rows that belong to the appropriate column are visible. As the user double-clicks on "8" (in your scenario, where it belongs to a {status} of "Pass") another formula value (e.g., {@Clicked_Column}) would be set to "Pass" and the drill-down would have Group Footer suppression condition of:
-----------------------------
{Status} <> {@Clicked_Column}
-----------------------------

The advantage of this approach is that there's no need for subreports.

hth,
- Ido

view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Thanks Ido and LB.

as above said i started to develop the report with summary report iw on main report and drill down in to subreport is selected value level.

but i got one more problem here.i am calling oracle view in main report to show summary values(as above scenario).
i am calling stored procedure for subreport. i got the solution and i did every thing is fine.but when i run the report it is taking a while due to indexs one real tables.

SELECT * FROM drilldown_view WHERE
location ='XXXXX' and
scan_date >TO_DATE ( '01-01-2007 00:00:00' , 'DD-MM-YYYY HH24:MI:SS' ) AND scan_date < TO_DATE ( '13-01-2007 00:00:01' , 'DD-MM-YYYY HH24:MI:SS' )

if i run the same queary on crystal reports run a while or notresponds.if i remove the scan_date field on condition it is working fine.
if i give oracle hint in oracle editior (/*+ ALL_ROWS */ *
)it is working fine.but in crystal how can i do this hintsto improve the performance.

Please guide me to improve the performance with 2 miilions of records in each selection of perameters

Thanks alot
rg7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back