Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dribble Packets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soopa

MIS
Aug 27, 2004
US
2061954168 input packets with dribble condition detected"
On my Cisco 7500 I see this on one of my fast ethernet interfaces.
I tried to google and look around in some of my books but I can't seem to find much of anything about this message.

Advice? Card going bad?

Paul

I've seen that link before, but that still doesn't explain to me what causes the packets. We basically have cisco 75007 routers linked together either directly to each other or via SMC dumb switches and I only see dribbles on a handful of the interfaces.
So is it a bad car? IOS incompatibility? Are certain 7500 series cards not compatible with others? Cabling?

Paul

You mentioned a dumb (unmanaged?) switch...I know it is simple but do you know if there is a duplex mismatch between the links?

What links are you getting these counters on? The ones that are connecting the 2 routers together? If not, what is connected to the links? When's the last time the counters have been cleared? Post a sh int of a good interface along with one with the dribble conditions, as well as a sh ver

A sh run would also help as well...

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

And I agree with the Net Doctor---likely, I would guess there is a 3-Com switch in between and your Cisco is not negotiating the duplex, and thus you have a duplex mismatch. Another indicator is late collisions. Anyhow, 9 out of 10 times dribbles are caused from duplex mismatches, usually between unlike manufacturers.

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back