Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dri_kbfiltr absent without leave!

Status
Not open for further replies.

helengordon

Technical User
Jun 26, 2002
GB
I am getting "can't find dri_kbfiltr" on boot up on my Toshiba laptop, running windows xp. also it won't go on stand by, or hibernate, or close down on shutting the lid. Also the pink highlighting of new programmes is stuck on. also system restore says it can't.

I've searched the web and can't find anything really appropriate. There was an earlier posting on this forum but it doesn't seem to apply/help.

Here's what I've tried: uninstalled printer (Lexmark x73); uninstalled and reinstalled keyboard twice; searched manually for the missing item.

Help please!!

The recommended solution seems to be re-install your keyboard drivers as they have become corrupted. As you have already tried that I suggest you search for updated keyboard drivers.

If the above take you no further, try running the System File Checker program from the run box. (Sfc /scannow). This will check all your system files for corruption.

Finally and probably with all your other problems you may have to repair windows by running it over itself.

You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

REPAIR WINDOWS

Boot from XP CD
(Windows will now load some temporary files)

Options after booting

*To Set Up Windows XP now press ENTER

*To Repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R

*To Quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3

Press ENTER for first option (don't select Recovery Console)
(Accept Eula agreement)

Follow onscreen instructions to repair windows installation

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Thanks for that! Looks as if I may have to repair windows..

I had expected to install the driver for the lexmark printer which I downloaded from their site. At 30 mg it seemed to me that it must include the software for the scanner etc. I used it, following the instructions, and got the printer and scanner installed. All ok... but the OCR software wasn't there. So I explored on the CD. As it had a pop up box saying that it was fully windows xp compatible, I installed the software again and got the ocr programme and then I cancelled when it got to the drivers. I installed the mgisoft picture editing programme too. Then the problems started . I uninstalled the lot, and at least it will go on standby but nothing will rid me of the "can't find dri_kbfiltr" or of the pink highlighting of new programmes. I've reinstalled the printer and scanner, as being without them didn't make it better and did make me worse :)

However, the computer seems to be working ok .. so I'm hoping the little messaage doesn't matter for the time being and maybe I'll get to feel friendly towards it and get to like pink highlights :)

On Saturday I finally got to go through all the links in the Google search that Linney kindly posted. This one was particularly good for me and has finally helped me to get the problem sorted out. It wasn't about repairing Windows but about updated drivers for the Easy Button;

I thought I'd post it up in case anyone else searches for help on the same problem and thinks they are going to have to more than would be necessary.

Thanks a lot linney!

Here's an explanation and fix for your problem. The problem is NOT HP- or Toshiba-specific, but an XP issue. I had the same issue on my own brand P4 notebook. It occurred after I connected my keyboard and mouse to a USB port replicator.

Hi all,

I'm having the same problem. I upgraded to XP Pro from XP Home. I had the same error and I reinstalled Easy Button. The hot keys worked again but there's nothing in my system tray except the clock and virus scan won't start automatically. It appears the SQL service and my psion link are suffering the same plights. Anyone know if there's a sequence to do this other than rebuilding?. I could do a system restore but then I would'nt have XP Pro :(

Thanks in advance.

E.

I'm not sure your restore points would carry over from XP Home.

You could try running the System File Checking program from the Run Box (Sfc /Scannow) to see if this helps.

There is 1 or 2 mentions of similar events here but not much in the way of fixes.

Perhaps a clean install of XP Pro is the way to go.

There seems to be a solution posted by HP if you can get at the downloads
Uninstall the One Touch button software from add and remove programs....this gets rid of the DRI_KBfiltr missing message.
Then run EZDsetup.exe
Then run 1Tsetup.exe twice
Don't know if this bit works as usual HP website links are pants

The strangest thing happened over that last day or two and it seems to be working again. I guess I'd uninstalled and reinstalled a few times but all the sys tray icons are back and functioning again. I also changes my keyboard type from the standard keyboard (which the XP upgrade had setup) to the new keyboard the system found after I'd installed the EZ Button application. I also ran the system file checker progarm which Linney suggested (Thanks for that ;) ). So who knows....it'll probabley stop working after I've finished this post!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back