Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dress Shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banner1971

Technical User
May 22, 2013
US
I like this style shoe for the professional look:

and I have a pair that I bought in some kind of a hurry many years ago for $20 that have served me very well. But I know some of these can fall apart pretty bad (cheaply made) and they do get a little damp when doing heavy work. I guess I got a good deal with the pair I own.

What do you guys suggest for the professional appearance? I have been wearing tennis shoes mostly and that is not a great look, either. I already have heavy boots for bigger jobs but most of my work is fine in these low top dress shoes although it might be better to find some made for working.

I generally wear black loafers. Not that loafers reflect my work philosophy, but I don't like tieing shoes. And dress shoes that tie kind of remind me of the ugly "low quarters" we had to wear with our dress uniforms when I was in the military. You can get loafers in varying degrees of "dressiness". I have a pair made from camel leather that are very comfortable and reasonably attractive. I also have a cheaper pair that I wear on business casual days. And a third pair with really good soles for when it's slippery outside.

====================================
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

I generally tend to wear shoes by MBT ( generally in the "athletic" varieties but in more neutral colors that go with khaki pants or jeans. They also have a lot of styles that would be considered more dressed. As far as 'dress' shoes goes, I also like Clarks as far far brands goes for comfort.

I envy people who can walk into a shoe store (or buy online) and find a pair that fits. My feet are 14 AA. I usually buy the SAS Time Out Slim. I have skis for feet.

Jim

==>I have skis for feet.
Must be great in the winter

Aspiring to mediocrity since 1957

Is this advertising?[ponder], Don't want to be that guy but...

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

If so, it's bad advertising. JC Penney tends to use more mainstream advertising, and questioning the quality of your product out of the gate is a questionable strategy at best.

I think this is a case somebody who looked at the name of the forum "Making an Impression" and asking a question about the impression made by clothing choices.

Personally, I tend to buy all of my shoes at Payless Shoe Source. Money's tight, and you can get decent quality shoes at reasonable prices there. If I had more money, I'd prefer better quality shoes, but that's not a luxury I can afford these days.

To the original poster, you mention the shoes getting wet. What kind of work are you doing? What I would wear in an office setting would not be good footwear for a construction site.

Currently there is a Payless shoe store add on this page!

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

The benefit of the passage of time. I recall the days when mother machines was happiest when I wore blue, black, or dark gray suits and black shoes. They were unhappy with my choice of short sleeve white dress shirts and particularly unhappy if I happened to leave the suit coat in the car to go into a customer's office. Never mind that I had imbedded grease to my elbows or purple ink residue in the crevices of the skin to the same depth.

Once away from the up-tights of corporate America I found that customers were more worried about getting their machines fixed. That included, one time, going in with muddy socks and shorts, with mud streaks of mud on the back from refereeing a soccer game on the way to a service call.

Used natural buck shoes for probably 30 years until the company went out of business. Have been using walking shoes since that time.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I second the Clarks. I got mine at a steep discount in Burlington Coat Factory (US). They're comfortable, well-made, and don't look like they were stamped out of some "this-is-what-a-dress-shoe-looks-like" mold.

-----------
With business clients like mine, you'd be better off herding cats.

djj55, AdBlock Plus is your friend! (Or should be.)

-----------
With business clients like mine, you'd be better off herding cats.

I couldn't wear the shoe the OP recommended. It only comes in medium and wide. I'd have to have a narrow.

Jim

I work in an office environment where we must wear business-dress. Last week I dropped a very heavy HP DC7700 right onto my big toe, I'm still limping. Anyone know of a good dress shoes with steel toes?

There are several companies that sell steel-toed dress and casual shoes; Redwing, Sketchers (which I wear), etc. I can look and see what companies we use. BTW, I'm the IT guy for a wood veneer company. Even though we no longer manufacture our own veneer, we still have to wear steel-toed shoes in the plant. I'm been glad I did several times.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Are Rockport worth the hype? They always advertised that you can run a marathon in them.

When I said my feet get wet I meant from sweat. But if I have to walk in a puddle to do the job, I will. My last pair clean up fine after that sort of thing. They just don't breathe quite as well as I might like so they get wet on a normal day sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back