Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dreamweaver without local drive with FPSE 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaellaw

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2004
GB
Hi

One of our users INSISTS on using Dreamweaver MX 2004 for designing their web pages.

The problem is that they connect to the web server via a wan link and this is takeing days to open. Is there a way to setup dreamweaver the same way as Frontpage to use only remote web sites WITHOUT a local drive?

The webserver is IIS6 with FPSE 2002 and webdav with Integrated Authentication.

Also on another note. Is it posible to convert Dreamweaver templates to Frontpage Templates as this is what we will have to do if dreamweaver wont work without a local drive.

DW should be able to work locally, and then upload once the site is built, you shouldn't need to use the remote server for anything much unless you're using a backend like PHP/ ASP etc.

I don't think DW will convert to FP, as FP is full of microsoft crap tags which are pretty pointless (I've just spent three days stripping them from a site and replacing them with about 2 lines in a .css file).

There are some free alternatives to both DW and FP which might be worth looking at, they aren't as comprehensive as DW, but do produce nice clean code, and are WYSIWYG, which I assume is why your person wants to use DW.

----------------------------------------
Sometimes, when my code just won't behave, I take it outside and make it listen to britney spears music, and when it comes back it's really well behaved. I wonder if it's suffering from post tramatic stress syndrome now..

No dont think you get it :) we dont have the facilities for them to work localy.

There is no way the users can D/L 350GB of data to his 40GB local hard drive (its a big internal web site).

We have 2 web servers 1 for testing/bulding on and 1 for live. So they build their website on the test server and then when they are happy publish to live. So there is no need for a local copy.

Basicaly if the answer is DW HAS to have a local copy somewhere we can tell him to bugger off and use FP like everyone else :) But we are willing to take a look at DW for his benefit.

No problem, you just set the "local" files to the wan link, I have just tested this on my system and there doesn't seem to be any issue..

Cheech

[Peace][Pipe]

Cheech, thx for that :) we had already tried that but found it was way to slow for the users to use and this is the problem atm. It appears that the way dreamweaver works is fundamentaly different from frontpage. DW insists that you edit the files locally (be it on your pc or maped drive) then upload it to a web server for testing/use.

This is 5 year old tech when organisations didnt have large clustered servers for their internal web sites :)

Frontpage works better in an enterprise environment with servers than does dreamweaver. DW may be a better editor but if it cant work in a server/client config it is unusable to us.

An M$ product better for use - NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SAY THAT!

thx for all your help but we are now going to hit the user over the head with a copy of FP2002 and a FRONTPAGE FOR DUMMIES BOOK :)

Quick note for DaRNCaT - 99% of all our pages are ASP with SQL backend connections - eg wont work locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back