Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dreamweaver Forgets Password 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanknu

Programmer
Apr 23, 2006
US
Hey, I'm tearing my hair out on this one. Every time I close Dreamweaver 8 and then open it up again, my sites (not FTP or RDS server sites) don't seem to have usernames and passwords. YES, I tried deleteing my config folder and YES I tried reinstalling and YES I tried reimporting all my site and YES I do have "Save Password" checked. I can't figure out why, but DW won't even ask me for it when I try to put I have to go into manage sites to input a password that will be forgotten the next time I close. If anybody knows how to fix this, please help me.

Do you have any special characters in your username or password? Dreamweaver doesn't handle those very well. That could be causing your problems.

Dodge20

no it's just letters and numbers [0-9, a-z].

export your site then open the file
site.ste
and look for the line 15
Code:
 ...accesstype="ftp" host="mysite.com" remoteroot="" user="" pw="" ...
confirm that info is there....
All the best!

:--------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

[URL unfurl="true"]http://mostarnet.com[/url]

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

ryanknu, I'm having the exact same problem. Did you ever find a solution??

lebisol, I exported as you suggested. The info is not in line 15. I added it and imported. The info won't stick.

The saved box is checked, but whenever I close DW8, the usrname and pword are empty when I restart the program.

I'm running DW 8.02. What do you mean by editing it in place?

I've got a new twist on this:

I edit and test locally, here on my computer, and dreamweaver's line 15 in the export has my local testing server information in it and not my remote server! This could be part of the problem although I'm not absolutely sure what that is.

'edit in place' would the be idea in the post above.

fugitive.gif

It's weird, I edit the .ste file and hardcode my username and password in there, and then I import it into Dreamweaver and it can connect, but when I shut dreamweaver, then open it and export the site again, the username and password have been removed from the .ste file.

hm that is odd....perhaps XP with system restore running?

fugitive.gif

That was a big problem in MX 2004 and was corrected with the patch. I haven't had this problem in ver 8. Have you updated any patches? You can also check the Adobe forums and support docs for this problem if the patch doesn't correct it.

**Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.**

I too just started having the problem this week. I can't think of anything I have done to cause this. Anyone figure this out yet? It's only the username/password.

The only thing new I did to my machine was installed BitDefender.

This has to be some sort of bug/corruption. I have been using DW 8 for a long time and it just started doing this to me.

I think it happened because I cancelled an "Updating the site cache" but it has corrupted username/password on *all* of my sites, not just the one I cancelled on.

Anyway -- ugh -- the only way to fix, as far as I can tell, is to recreate the site as a "New Site".

I just noticed I was only up to 8.01. I upgraded to 8.02 and tried it and now it seems to be retaining the info.

Now I noticed earlier in this thread that it happened in 8.02 as well, so it probably is a corruption of sorts as aafz pointed out that occurs regardless of version. (hypothesis)

Maybe reinstalling the update will help. I just tried and it does let you reinstall it.

I'm retaining my user info so far. Someone else dare to give it a try?

bob

SCORE!

I was having the same problem with only one site out of 3 I had set up. When I installed the 8.0.2 patch, not only did it fix that problem, it also reset my 30 day trial of 8.0 :)

Funny little quirk... actually first it reset it to 30 days (from 23), then I closed and reopened to test the patch solution, and my trial period was at 31 days... who knows how high it will go ;)

Anyway, the 8.0.2 patch does solve the problem. Thanks!

----------------------------

Did you happen to notice this problem happen right after you updated IE 7? I never had a problem saving passwords until I updated the browser. Thanks for the information about the update working, I was not sure if that fixed this problem or not.

I also had this exact problem right after loading IE7. I ran the 8.0.2 updater and it is fixed, at least for now.

I updated to IE7 and it didn't affect my site definitions. Mine happened before I upgraded to 7. It hasn't happened since I ran the DW updater, but I won't hold my breath.

Running the 8.0.2 updater seems to work even if you already have used 8.0.2 updater. So keep it handy just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back