Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dreamweaver 2004 MX - can't link to ntl web server 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldtooth

Technical User
Feb 18, 2009
GB
Since I had to wipe my pc clean and re-install, I have not been able to get my Dreamweaver 2004 MX to upload files to the ntl webspace ( After contacting ntl, they confirmed the site was indeed open and I should be able to access and upload to it. In the 'Configure Server' screen within Dreamweaver, I suspect I am not putting in the correct name in the Name box - I cannot remember what was there before, before I wiped my pc. I think the other boxes are filled correctly. Can anyone help, please?

...ask them to reset your ftp account.
Seems like the issue is you not knowing your account info vs. something to do with DW :). If you have a backup of the site config then you can restore/import it.

Thanks, lebisol. NTL have informed my my ftp account is open, at which can be accessed by typing in on a browser, so the site is open and ready to use. I don't have a backup of the site config., unfortunately, and NTL, not surprisingly, say the problem lies with the way I'm accessing the site, i.e. via Dreamweaver. I still suspect it's the first box ('Name') in the Configure Server Screen which is causing the problem - I can't remember what was there before. I've tried the ftp server address here: upload.ntlworld.com but this doesn't work. Is this a problem for Dreamweaver Technical people? If I posted a snapshot of this Screen as I've filled it in would it help?

When you try to connect with DW what error are you getting? That alone can point you in the right direction.

Thanks again, lebisol for your swift reply. When I try and connect with DW I get the message "An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host. DW could not connect because the server is down or not accepting connections".
Ho-hum

The quickest way to test is download filezilla and see if you can use it to connect.
The URL above is fine but that is the FTP://site.com access?

Also, perhaps you firewall is blocking DW from accessing the web.

FTP error occurred means one of the following is incorrect...ftp host, path, and/or secure ftp needs to be either on or off. (maybe even passive ftp)
Definitely not your credentials since you can log in via browser.
Try using the ip address instead of ftp.servername.com.
You should be able to log into your webserver via browswer and find all the info you need. If it is all correct (passive ftp and secure ftp as well) and you still can't connect then try a third party ftp and see what error you are getting.

lebisol, imeldesign - thanks for your posts!
I don't think it's my firewall - I am using Windows Defender and I have tweaked it to ignore DW and associated files - no joy. I have also tried passive and secure ftp with no joy. Here is the DW Configure Server Box I have filled in:

Name: upload.ntlworld.com (not sure of this) - I have tried umpteen names with no joy, if this indeed is important
Access Type: FTP
FTP Host: homepage.ntlworld.com
Host Directory: martin.smith8040
Login: martin.smith8040
Password: ok with this - ntl have verified
URL Prefix:
On my old pc setup, the 'martin.smith8040' above was 'nosyparker', part of my old e-Mail address, and I had no problems. The old website still exists, but ntl have informed me this cannot be used any more, since I have to upload using the same letters as in my E-Mail address, martin.smith8040@ntlworld.com.
I have also got into my new site, but cannot find any useful info here.
Shall I give up and go for a walk?

Shouldn't the path be:
/martin.smith8040/
or did you just leave out the "/

Thanks, imeldesign. Unfortunately it doesn't work with or without the "/", either before or after the host directory name. I think I will have to contact ntl again just to make sure my login and password are correct. Just to make sure! Do you have any idea what the 'name' box in the Configure Server screen in DW should be? Can it be anything I want? Thanks again.

Sounds like it is your host and ask to see if they have their virtual directory setup right...since
-"Name" is not important it is just an alias and you can call it 'my site' for that matter.
-------------------------------------
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Error: Could not connect to server

- Default home directory does not matter of it is '/home' or '/home/'

- The 'homepage.ntlworld.com'
seems to be responding but I have no account credentials to really test it. Here is some info you can pass to your host.
Status: Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server", trying next address.
Error: Could not connect to server...

Just stay on top of them, it is not your DW.

Thanks, lebisol. I will contact ntl next week with your info.

Dreamweaver is fairly good at given you a login error stating that username or password is incorrect if that is the case. Still sounds like an ftp or host path error. Good luck in figuring it out.

My question may mostly be completely wrong since im using a different hosting company ... but what about your hosting directory? Mine is "public_html". What directory does your hosting company say you should be in. I had mine wrong one time, and got the same error message.

lebisol, imeldesign & Kjonnnn.
Thank you all for your assistance. I have now 'half' sorted the issue out, after more consultations with ntl and my own pc guru. Firstly, one ntl 'consultant' thought the problem was due to the ip address which my modem 'selected' (after the pc was wiped) - it is 82.17.110.173. He said this was an old 'BlueYonder' address which needed to be changed to a 'true' ntl address, and advised turning off the modem for at least 24 hours, and turning on should prompt the modem to select, hopefully, an address starting with 62 or 65. This didn't work. However, when on to ntl again the next day, another adviser said this wasn't the problem, since my pc couldn't access any ftp sites simply by typing in the address in a browser. So he told me to get my pc checked, since he thought something or some set-up was stopping this connection. I then contacted my pc guru, who said that in oreder to access an ftp site you need the appropriate software to do it - you can't just type in the upload address. Dreamweaver has such software built in, apparently, but he advised downloading cuteftp (for a trial period) and trying that. Of course it worked straight away, no problem, so I can now upload my webpages created in Dreamweaver using this software straight into the website. This still doesn't fix the Dreamweaver Server Connection problem. though. And I will have to pay for cuteftp after the trial period.

.. or you could just use the client version of Filezilla which is free and widely used.

If you want the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first.
'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'
Drive a Steam Roller

Thanks johnwm - filezilla also does the job! No problem with uploading files to upload.ntlworld.com.
Since it now appears to be a DW 'fault' (I am using DreamweaverMX 2004 v7.0), I have tried entering numerous options in the Server Configure Box. Putting upload.ntlworld.com box, and clicking the Test box still returns the same ftp error message. There was one set up I entered in this Server Configure box (can't remember what) which returned a different message "cannot determine the remote server time". Whether this is a clue I don't know.

Thanks, lebisol. I have now run the patch, updated DW to version 7.0.1, but still get the same error message: "An ftp error occurred - cannot open remote folder martin.smith8040/. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem". Aaaargh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back