Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dreamscene crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken07734

Programmer
Feb 6, 2002
US
When I try to start the dreamscene it restarts explorer, anyone have this issue as well?

do you have two monitors running?
I found that the program does not play well with two monitors.

1 monitor. I thought it was my FX5200 card causing the problem so I went out and got a ATI 2400 and it still crashes.

What version of Vista are you running? Dreamscene is I believe an Ultimate only application.

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try a different User.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

In the Control Panel\Programs and Features\ "Turn Windows Features on or off", do you have Dreamscene ticked or even mentioned in there?

I put "dreamscene" into my search engine. Looks like keno was correct that this is a VISTA Ultimate only program.

I do have Ultimate. It did work at 1 point and now it just crashes. I may just reload everything.

I've had similar problems, in fact just this weekend. Here is what I did; I downloaded the latest drivers, dated October 22, 2007, I uninstalled my old ATI drivers and software and rebooted. Then I installed the newest software and driver and so far it seems to have worked.

I have two monitors and overall it seems that Vista doesn't like ATI video cards. I have a 512mb PCIe ATI X700 video card and because of it my Windows Experience Index is only at a 4.2 and is only because of my video card. I realize mine isn't top of the line but still.

Anyway try uninstalling your video drivers and software then reinstalling with the very latest. You can also try uninstalling Dreamscene and reinstalling it. (Control Panel, Programs and Features, View Installed Updates then Dreamscene then click Uninstall) then reboot, then run Windows updates again to reinstalling. Good luck!

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

I seem to have it working now, when I corrected the issue with the rating index that started working, go figure. I only get a 3.3 rating which doesn't seem any higher than what I had with my old card.

It seems that when I use the Readyboost with A 2 GIG STICK THE dREAMsCENE CRASHES.

How much of the 2GB is taken up with Readyboost? Have you tried varying the amount, or does it just crash when the Readyboost drive is inserted?

What file system is the Readyboost drive? Have you run ChkDsk /r on it or even tried to Reformat it?

Readyboost has many problems. Even the program designer for Readyboost has noted that it has crashed his system after a vista update. They had to have an update to fix the update...go figure

Do you notice a difference when using it?
Is is worth the instability?

I think Readyboost is a great idea, but, I think that there are too many hands in the pot beyond what the original designer created. This even frustrated the designer and he vented this in a blog till Microsoft shut the blog down. with so much public pressure they had to restore the blog. So, I think that Readyboost is suffering from corporate politics.

It seems alot of what is happening I belive stems from the readyboost. I am playing with the amount right now and it aseems stable at 1940 kb. I'lllet you know. I can say it does make a difference when I am using it.

I have so much ram in my systems I don't even notice the benefit from Readyboost. that may be an option.
I have heard that those with 4 gig in a 32-bit system have some issues with Readyboost.
If you don't have a lot of ram, buy more ram
there is a lot to read from this forum but there are some great tips in it.

Some people are getting system crashes on reboot with a Readyboost stick installed.
try booting the system then after the complete boot process is done give it a full minute or more because Vista runs startup items with reduced resources for that time frame. then plug in the Readyboost drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back