Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dramas after formatting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodilees

Technical User
Nov 17, 2002
AU
Hi

I have a P2 computer that is a couple of years old now, but serves my purpose at home no problems, until now.

I had a bit of trouble with the bug bear virus that went around and reached a point where non of the virus software or the fixes that I could find were working. I decided after spending some time on the problem to format it. I have done this and now I can't get my windows 98se to reload. The computer boots to dos no problems but does not recognise the cd in the cd drive. But the lights on the side of the cd drive indicate that it is running. So I am at a bit of a lost. If anyone can offer any hints I would really appreciate it. I have tried another win 98 cd and it is not the cd that is causing the drama as the same error message is appearing on a different cd.

Regaards

Jodi

I have tried that under all of the drives now and it is returning an error message of Bad command or file name

Regards

jodi

Tried that one, checked the directory to make sure it created the win98 directory and it was there, but it returned an error message of bad command or file name when I typed the next bit in.

thanks for your help here I really do appreciate it!

You are getting that message because you are using a Win98 boot disk. You need proper DOS disks as the windows dos boot disk does not have the commands you need.

To recap though.

Wolluf suggested that you take out all items that were not needed - A good point.

Secondly, having disconnected the cd burner, you need to make sure that the cd-rom that is left is set to master and placed on its own IDE channel.

If you haven't done this previously, you need to try it.

Boot with the Win disk and access the windows cd-rom setup programme.

Good luck.

Where do I get proper DOS disks?

I am not familiar with DOS that much. I have tried everything in this thread so far and though I get different results each time at the end of the day I still can't install windows.

If anyone can provide any more ideas etc please let me know.

Regards

Jodi

just for everyones information, the computer was reformatted, f disked, and then had windows reloaded. The problem was still there, so I got a new hard drive.

The problem was still there after that so the next thing I tried was replacing the kernel32 file with one from another computer. It seems to be now running ok.

Regards

Jodi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back