Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drag and drop problem 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocmills

Technical User
Dec 30, 2002
US
The machine is a Dell Dimension 4600 running XP Home. Suddenly, we cannot drag and drop items in Windows Explorer. There were no new programs installed, nothing unusual before this started happening. We have run updated virus scans and AdAware with no results. Cut and paste works, but not drag and drop. Anyone have any ideas?

--Roc
"Whatever one man can dream, another can accomplish" - Jules Verne

I've just had this drag & drop not working issue. By chance I also had a paging file/virtual memory issue. I increased the size of my VirtMem and it seems to have cured the D&D problem too.

Hope this helps.

SOLVED!

18 months of frustration FINALLY OVER!

Can't say it'll work for everyone else, but here's what solved the issue for us: MICROSOFT ANTISPYWARE BETA!

Yes, it's true. Had hubby install the above and after its first run the desktop had returned to fully normal function!

--Roc

Sorry about the false alarm. Antispyware fixed the problem, but it came back a few hours later.

--Roc

The fact that MICROSOFT ANTISPYWARE BETA had some effect on the problem might justify further efforts in malware detection as a final cure.

Many nasties are cleared or partially cleared initially by these type of programs but due to their (the malware) code they are able to regenerate themselves later. These are the hardest type of malware to remove.

Try Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

And perhaps even post your Hijack This log.

I had the same problem after running a registry cleaner (perhaps I was a little too enthusiastic). I was missing the INTERFACE access in my DCOM. Once I added it and rebooted, everything was fine. Thanks everyone, especially bcastner!

I have to second one of the posts in this thread - after investigating all the software fixes posted, without success, I powered off the machine and powered back up with A DIFFERENT MOUSE attached. Bingo, problem disappeared.
So.. don't sharpen the harikiri knives until you've tried a direct substitution -- on THE MOUSE.

***Solution that worked for me (2 actually)***

I've had exactly the same problem as reported by rocmills including the same responses when registering DLLs etc.

I unplugged my mouse and restarted the machine (as advised by rjberry) and it fixed the problem. I plugged the mouse back in and again the drag and drop did not work.

I noticed that even when at rest my mouse (a Dell optical mouse) seemed to be bright (as if it were active).

Like any true male I whacked the mouse a few times incase something was jammed inside and the light dimmed (did not turn off) and it appears everything is working fine now.

Moral of the story - it's probably the mouse.

(PS I'm using a Dell Latitude D410)

Well, I did have the same problem.
Could not drag-and-move.
Tried everything you said here; dll files reg fix, XP reg fix, mouse and so on.

Had a shitty time at work today thinking that my new computer was messed up at home, and that I probably had to reinstall windows XP. f...

Restarted when I got home.

Same shitty problem!

then ---> he he he, ha ha -->
I
suddenly noticed that my Esc button was stuck. Got it loose, and VOILA...

Ha ha ha

I've had a problem with my computer now for quite sometime. I have searched the net for countless hours, and have yet to find a solution. I'm completely stumped. I have a Sony Vaio RB30. I have run countless virus and spyware scans, and have yet to find a thing. I have bought a new mouse. I have tried to wipe the harddrive and reinstall everything, but Sony requires you to use a Recovery Wizard on your computer. When you first turn on the computer the start window will not stay open. I have found that if you click the NumLock key for some odd reason it will allow you to access the menu.

I also can not drag icons nor can I move anything in the favorites. I can copy and paste, but that's it.

Also at times you can be typing text and it will suddenly disappear. In other words the cursor will erase everything you have written, such as everything I have typed thus far meaning I would have to start over.

I'm clueless. If anyone can point me into the right direction, I would be soooooooo trilled and thankful.

To get further information about the error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on these sites.

If the error occurred after installing a device driver or application, try using Safe Mode and removing the driver or program.

To check your RAM.

To check your Hard Drive.

The drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic software to check your drive for problems.

To check your drivers.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

To check conflicting software.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Will check your computer for spyware and adware.

See if you have any services that are flagging as "Starting" but not actually running.

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Windows.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself using the Recovery CD.

These are some examples of text problems, I can't see that they apply but they do show what can happen and why.

Problems with Outlook Express
thread779-1110771

Delayed Response When Editing Internet Explorer Forms and Outlook Express May Take a Long Time to Start

NOTEBOOK TYPES BY ITSELF!!??
thread779-564000

Also, have you checked to see if any Bios update is available?

This is, as someone described a long toothed thread but the answer for me was at the bottom, so good thing. I was trying all the recomendations only to find out for me it was a stuck 'esc' key. A little dust and dirt over the years and it didn't pop up like it was supposed to. Case solved and thanks!

if you have a "insert" key on the keyboard, press it once. try drag and drop now. worked for me.

try clicking second mouse button onvdestop a few times. try clicking both mouse buttons at the same time.

Wow, here's another variant on this problem.

Windows XP Pro SP2...everything runs fine as long as I have only two screens (laptop LCD and outboard monitor). When I plug in a 3rd screen (using PCMCIA display adaptor from VillageTronic) everything continues to work fine for a couple of hours.

Then, the drag/drop problem happens--a couple of apps fight over window focus, can't control the desktop consistently, can't move icons on the desktop, etc. Problem totally disappears if I log in as a different user, but is persistent if I log back in as the original user. Only remedy is complete reboot.

Did every tip from this forum and others re: permissions and dll registration (definitely was a permissions-based issue...)

Problem? Mouse DRIVER. In this case, am using GlidePoint touchpad (2nd mouse in the system). Reinstalling its driver -- even though there were no error messages or signals that the mouse was the issue. Everything seems fine now.

Wow! This is getting long in the fang now. A few ???'s. Did you shut down System Restore before running MICROSOFT ANTISPYWARE BETA? System Restore may reinstall the problem at next boot. What browser & version are you running? If you're running IE. Have you tried booting in Safe Mode & selecting 'Last Good Configuration'? A corrupted version of IE can create this problem. Try using the Repair IE option when you choose to uninstall IE in the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. If that doesn't work, you might try downloading IE v.7.0 (if you're not using that version yet).
Hope this helps!
Bob

Hi.

My problem is taken care of, thanks to just getting the driver un-corrupted.

But to answer your questions, all my symptoms were irrespective of applications running -- in fact, even with no applications running I sometimes had the problem. I am using IE 7.0, FF 2.x, Thunderbird, and MSOffice 2003.

The good news is, it appears to have been a driver problem, pure and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back