Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dr Watson on bengine.exe during backup of Exchange 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

arussell

MIS
Aug 6, 2000
GB
We run Backup Exec 7.3 locally backing up a largish Exchange 5.5 server right down to mailbox level. Just recently the backup had been failing with a Dr Watson on Bengine.exe with access violation 0xc0000005 address 0x01605a68. When it fails it hangs at a certain point in the backup - time keeps ticking up but nothing else happens at all, when I right mouse click on the backup job in the job monitor window the job then disappears completely leaving no log file or any way to tell how far it got. It seems to be backing up about 75% of the Exchange Server. I've run ESEUTIL and ISINTEG to clean up the Exchange database but to no avail. I've seen many many postings on this type of problem but none which exactly fit this scenario. Can anyone give me a quick run down of the possible causes of this sort of error? <br><br>Thanks<br><br>Andy Russell

I've had a similar problem over the last few weeks, and finally contacted Veritas in desperation.<br><br>Unfortunately, they only offer support contracts on the latest version (8.0). Whilst they do offer support on a per incident basis, which will cover 7.3, they won't touch it unless you have the latest build.<br><br>I had been running 7.3 rev. 2570, and had to get hold of rev. 2575.<br><br>Talking to a third-party support company, they advised me that rev. 2575 cleaned up a lot of the Dr. Watson errors that often occurred.<br><br>I installed it towards the end of last week, and it appears to have stopped the application error from occurring. ( I do however, still get an occasional hanging of BackUp Exec services after the job has completed! )<br><br>I would suggest upgrading to the latest build if you are not already running it, and see how that works out. ( You can download it from the Veritas site - 117MB )<br><br>I hope this helps.<br><br>Rik<br><br>

Thanks for the reply - the more I dig into this issue the more complex it gets - the internet newsgroup for this product is a mine of information (and of other people with the same Dr Watson errors!). <br><br>My first attempt at fixing this was to repatch the server go SP6a as it hadn't been done before and that had fixed this problem for one person. But it didn't work.<br><br>So I will now go for the 2575 upgrade complete with the two patches that seem necessary and see if that helps. <br><br>I'll let you know how I get on.<br><br>Andy<br><br>I'm about to try the latest revision

The one thing that helped me reduce this problem was increasing the size of my pagefile. It should be 2.5 x RAM. BackUp Exec uses the pagefile heavily so it should be defragmented and large enough.
- David

I've now updated to build 2575 and so far it seems to be stable so that is the fix that works for us although others have reported other solutions working for them.

Andy Russell

Just recently the backup had been failing with a Dr Watson on Bengine.exe with access violation 0xc0000005 address 0x78010adf. Any Ideas or is the fix the same with the get a rebuild 2575????? And where do I get the build???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back