Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DR option Licensing query v11.5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FAZ786

Technical User
Jul 28, 2004
Licensing on DR option v11.5 - Can you please tell me if you have 8 Windows Clients. Firstly, You are required to install the DR option on the backup host. However, if you want to utilise this option on 8 windows clients, how many licenses are required, one or 8?

Thanks
Faz786

Thanks for the naswer. Q)Why one, and not 8 Licenses?

faz786

The DR option is a host server option and is not client licenced.

OK. Do you have any information in the CA docs to support this? Just wanted to confirm before we purchase the license
Thanks

Nope, another one of those things I don't think was ever documented, but physically there is no way of licence checking clients with the DR option it is a host server only option.

On the other hand if you have multiple host servers you will need to purchase a DR option licence for each server you wish to run DR on as well has the regular host server licence.

trust vschumpy on this, the DR option needs to be purchased and installed on the backup server(s) only. Every full backup made with one of the 8 windows clients (or a local full backup of the backup server) can be used for disaster recovery.

Im my opinion before you purchase the license you MUST have tested the DR Option and be sure it fits into your disaster recovery concept. This option is sold as the end of your DR sorrows but it needs to be tested and practiced like every DR solution.

regards

Yes, thanks for the above guys. Yes it has been tested. However, I've heard different answers to above licensing query therefore I decided to post this question here.

Thanks.
faz786.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back