Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Downloading of 6.0 IE - not all components installed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyla565

Programmer
Nov 29, 2000
US
I recently had to install my recovery discs that have all the original software on my PC. When I did this, I lost my undated Internet Explorer and msn 8.0. I went to microsoft's website and tried to download IE 6.0 and while downloading it stopped and displayed that it cannot download some of the components. When I try and install MSN 8.0, it says missing components from IE, cannot install.

I have gone to tech support for MSN and did what they said and it still didn't work. Does anyone know what the problem is? My PC has microsoft ME on it. I wondered if I need to download the previous version of IE to get all the components?

Please help!

Jane

Not much I can offer. Same problem here. I tried any and all suggestions posted in this forum (and other similar forums on other websites), and on the MS website. None work for me. I'm guessing that in my case there is a conflict with Nortons, but still no go when I disable Nortons. My solution is to switch to Netscape. I'd rather stick with MSIE, but not if I cannot upgrade the software. Good luck in your pursuit to a fix.

- Dan

Dan,

I did try downloading IE 5.5 and then IE 6.0. It did let me then install msn 8.0. I am still having a problem connecting to msn. I am currently using a test default. I will be calling msn tech support tommorrow to figure out why I still can't log on with 8.0.

I hope this helps you.

Jane

I recently had a problem with re-intalling ie6 and when finished it would say "..these components could not be intalled", followed by a list. The solution I found was to go to "c:\program files\internet explorer\uninstall information" folder. First right click/properties and uncheck the hidden attribute. Then cut all the content out of the uninstall folder and place it in another folder, ( I created one called atemp ). Re-boot the machine and make sure that the uninstall information folder is empty. If so, you should be able to re-install ie6 and all components that did not load. When done just copy all contents in "atemp" folder back to uninstall information folder.
Hope this helps, skimmers

Skimmers:

That did it! Got some really cool presents over Christmas, but this is the coolest (and most useful)! Thanks :)

jmatt I cannot see anything to do with printing out "how to download IE6 the right way, on the link that you have here! Could you clarify, for this Dummy, Thank You Tom

Tom ( tomgg ) , the Print it out is my own suggestion .
Reason being is that it is easy to miss the steps .

Copy & paste the download steps into a word document & print .

SKIMMERS!!!!!!!!!

Thank you SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!! Your suggestion re. problems with upgrading from ie5.5 to 6 did the trick! I have been trying TONS of suggestions from TONS of people/places, including MicroSoft itself, for several months... all to no avail.
That Uninstall Information Folder was the cause.

Thank you again!!! [2thumbsup]

(and because of you I now know about this extremely useful site! thanks again!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back