Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Downloading .exe files

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlarson

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2003
US
Hi,

I hope someone else has run into the issue I am having and can point me in the right direction. W2K Pro workstation can't download .exe files from a majority of websites. When I say majority, I mean that there are a couple that it can download .exe files from. Plenty of disk space, IE6 sp1, all security settings set to default, same issue in every profile, happens in safe mode with network, uninstalled IE and re-installed, same with different user names and administrator, checked registry for netscape plugins, checked downloaded programs folder for 3rd party plugins, scanned for adware with 2 different proggies and deleted all of it, is only workstation out of 12 having this issue, no viruses or trojans found, run key subkeys are normal, runservices key is empty, deleted all tmp files, deleted all cookies, and deleted all temporary internet files.

Loaded Mozilla and am able to download anything from any site.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

when you said you can;t download exe, do you get any error message ?

When I click any URL to download an .exe file or right click and 'save as', the file download window comes up and it sits there for about 30 seconds. Then brings up an error that states it cannot connect to that specific web page. Then gives and 'OK' button.

Pretty generic message without any error codes and nothing in the event viewer. I've searched the web using the message in several different search engines and forums. All giving no relevant info.

Also searched on "unable to download .exe files" and did everything I could find that relates. I outlined these steps and more in my first post.

Thanks for the reply!!

may be the speed of your network is too slowly.......

I would do two things:

. repair your Winsock stack. An excellent freeware utility to use is discussed here: faq779-4625

. re-register some critical DLLs. Open notepad and copy/paste the below as fix_ie.cmd.

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Msjava.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Browseui.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll

Double click the completed notepad file and answer the prompts. Reboot and test again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back