Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Downloaded driver files with _ not recognized 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncity

Technical User
Jan 11, 2005
US
Downloaded a set of files for winmodem. Last character of names have underscore ( wmex_.ex_ ) and so XP won't recognize the file when looking for wmexe.exe .
I unzipped from the download folder directly to floppy; underscore files are on floppy for use on another computer.
Do those underscore files have to be processed further somehow so they are real file names which modem device installer can recognize?

Thnx

My advice scan the files to be sure there clean if they are change the extension to .exe and see if they work. They could have possibly been changed. If those drivers dont work go here and you can find other drivers and this site requires membership but its free.

The driver was downloaded from driverguide.com, and files are clean. Good suggestions tho!
I've seen file names like this before, but didn't give them a second thought. I assumed that the installation process would straighten them out. But no, XP simply says "wmex_.ex_ is not wmexe.exe" and gives me a dope slap message. I'm sure I'm missing something really silly.

yeah but what im saying is change the extension to .exe instead of .ex_ and see if they work. lol worth a try

XP only allows changing the file name, can't change the extension from ex_ to exe . Don't want to drop into DOS.
Other extension is vx_ . That extension not even listed on
It's the stupid problems that are the most vexing!

I downloaded the driver from US Robotics site. Extracted to the floppy with exactly same results. Complete with wm.ex_.ex_ .
Oh well, at least I selected the right driver!

Use the EXPAND.EXE command:

expand path:wmex_.ex_ path:wmex.exe

Expand command gives DOS msg:
MS Cabinet Extraction Tool, Ver 16, 1.00.603.0 8/14/97
ERROR: d:\wmexe.ex_ is not a cabinet file.

There is a new (to me) file extension in the driver folder: winmodem.VX_ What is the third letter, please? It is not identified anywhere per my 7 Nov 05 msg above. Extract syntax needs the new filename.

I KNEW there was an extra step in there somewhere! (Dope Slap) Hopefully, at the finish line.

HI,
I believe it would be .VXD ( a virtual device driver)

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back