Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Downloadable files

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyT

Technical User
Aug 29, 2001
NZ
Hi,

I've searched the dreamweaver archives but still couldn't find an answer to my problem so here goes.

i want users to be able to download a .doc file. I want the "open from its current location of save file to disk" dialog box to appear so they have the option of permanently downloading the file to their own computer.

I have tried associating a link directly to the file but the word doc just opens up in the browser. I dont want to have to zip either as it is just one file.

Help please.

Scotty T

Prompt the user to right click on the link and click save target as...
the link should look something like that:
<a href=&quot;chouch.doc&quot;>Link</a>

else you should zip your file and put a link to it.
If someone has the Microsoft word installed then the browser will open the doc file integrated.

If you go the .zip method, then you should make the .zip file an self-extracted file, that way all the user has to do is double-click the .zip and it unzips the contents, this way if the user doesn't have a winzip application they can still see you're file... I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

GUJUmOdel,

thanks for your help, how do i make the .zip file self extracting?

Thanks again,
Scotty T

Here ya go, this was in my winzip application:

Use the Make .Exe File entry in the Actions menu to convert the open archive to a self-extracting archive. Self-extracting archives have an extension of .EXE, and can be run as commands. When a self-extracting archive is run, the files in the archive are automatically extracted. This is convenient, because the end user does not need an unzip program (like WinZip®) to extract files from these self-extracting archives.

When working with a Zip file, this operation normally runs WinZip Self-Extractor Personal Edition, but you can also configure WinZip to use another program. When working with an LZH file, this operation runs the external LHA program with the s option. When working with an ARJ file, this operation runs the external ARJ program with the y option. For details on configuring WinZip to work with external programs, see the sections titled System Requirements and Installing Optional External Programs.

Notes:
If the first file in a self-extracting LZH file is named “!” (i.e. an exclamation mark is the only character in the filename) this file will be displayed when the self-extracting executable is run. To ensure that this file is the first file in the archive create a new LZH file, then add the “!” file (do not add other files in this step), and finally add the remaining files.

Hope this helps... I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

It worked, AWESOME!!!!

thanks everyone for your help.

Scotty T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back