Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Download Oracle 8.1.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen99

Programmer
Aug 5, 2003
ZA
Does anybody know where I can download Oracle 8.1.6. Oldest version on Oracle website is 8.1.7.

Thanks
Karen

Unavailable from oracle as it is no longer supported...

Bastien

Cat, the other other white meat

8.1.6 is indeed no longer supported, so I couldn't really tell you chare to download that one.

If 8.1.7 can help you on your way, I would suggest you download it fast because support for 8i will stop somewhere this year. Thus, there will no longer be official downloads available either.

Karen,

If you don't mind my asking, what is the business need that compels you to find a copy of 8.1.6? If we knew that, perhaps we can offer an solution that meets your need.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 09:58 (06May04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"), 02:58 (06May04) Mountain Time)

Thank you for everybody's replies. I just came back from the client, and convinced them that I can develop on Oracle 8.1.7. I am just going to run scripts against their database. I don't think it wil create any problems if I create the scripts on 8.1.7 and run it on 8.1.6.

Cheers
Karen

Karen,

That is correct. A useful setting for your development environment will be to have your DBA place the parameter "compatible = 8.1.6" in your init<SID>.ora parameter file. That allows Oracle to assist you in flagging commands that will not behave properly when running on 8.1.6.

Cheers,

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 15:27 (07May04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"), 08:27 (07May04) Mountain Time)

I don't know if this would require a new thread or not, what about people that need to back-up an 8.1.6 database but can find any 8.1.6 version for download to use the export utility?

Hi,
IIRC,The EXP/IMP versions are 'major' release related so
any 8.1 version should work with it..
( I think...I know that 8.0.x and 9.x will NOT work with 8.1.x)
Please check the docs on this, however...

[profile]

8.1.7 was the earliest version i could download from Oracle and it did not work.

Hi,
Oh Well....We live and learn.

Sorry for the misinformation...

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back