Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

download managers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wuu

Technical User
Nov 18, 2007
US
Hi,

most of the download managers I have used have an option to set a proper cache size to protect the hard disk by reducing the number of times data is written to the hard disk.

I wonder if this concept is correct or not.

And I set the cache size to 1024KB, does that mean that exactly 1024KB of my actually memory will be used to store this file?

thanks

Is this what you are asking about?

What is a Cache?

Personally I use Internet Download Manager, and I can't remember ever setting or having any such setting concerning a cache, but that could be just that programs design.

The layman in me thinks that your program is just writing data to a block of memory and when it reaches the maximum cache size you have set, it then writes that block of data to the hard drive?

Hi, linney

Thanks for your input. However, I wasn't asking the definition of 'cache."
The layman in me thinks that your program is just writing data to a block of memory and when it reaches the maximum cache size you have set, it then writes that block of data to the hard drive?

That's what I believe the cache setting would do. But what I am really asking was whether there exists such a relationship that 1024KB of data stored in cache would mean the consumption of 1024KB of memory. In other words, how much memory is needed to store 1024KB of data before it is written to the hard disk?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back