Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Downlevel Printing error in Plus 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

liable

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2002
I'm running win2k pro with accpac plus 6.0 and sharing a Epson LQ-1500. The share is \\desk\epson using lpt2 but locally lpt1.

The problem.

I added another unit with win2k pro to the network, added the shared printer \\desk\epson (lpt2) and tried to print to the share from accpac. It gave me the error on the the unit where the printer is attached (desk) "Remote Downlevel Document error printing". I have a win98 user that was connected to that printer and was able to print to it from dos, but ever since i added the win2k pro unit and tried to print it cannot. It gives the same error as the new win2k machine.

Any thought or suggestions?

Liable

I assume you're using a NET USE command somewhere?

Jay Converse
IT Director
Systemlink, Inc.

net use lpt1: \\desk\epson /persistent:yes is the batch file that runs when they log in. I also checked in dos NET USE and it was connected properly.

That's a wierd one, for sure. A little Googling turns up nothing useful. I've been supporting Accpac plus since 1989, and I've never seen that error. I suspect a permissions problem.

Jay Converse
IT Director
Systemlink, Inc.

I'll look into that thanks for your help again.

Jay,

What do you recommend for a way to setup shared printers for dos. I am forever having to fart around with these dot matrix printers and it's driving me crazy.

I would look for:

1. Make sure the printer names are 8 characters or less.
2. Make sure you're using parallel connections, not USB.

Jay Converse
IT Director
Systemlink, Inc.

A little off topic, but I would not run ACCPAC Plus 6.0 on any WIN machine. I suggest you upgrade to at least 6.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back