Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Downing one network adapter stops access to both adapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2002
US
I have a p650 running AIX 5.2 ML8. I have two network adapters, EN0 and EN2.
EN2 was a later installation, and we want all traffic to route through this card. I have swapped IP addresses on the cards, and everything works except one outbound interface.
It seems to keep going out over EN0. To try to prevent this, I brought EN0 down, but did not detach it.
Except for my telnet seesion that was already active, all other connections were dropped. Pinging either address came back with no response. Why would EN2 not respond to ping requests?

Your default route is probably messed up.

netstat -rn

Look for the "default" route. Is it still using the old interface?

route add default [router ip] -if en2
route delete default [router ip] -if en0

spamly,
Thanks for the reply. On our next scheduled downtime I'll have to take a look at that.

While the route commands will work, also check the odm attributes of your sys0 , you will probably have to do a chdev on syso and adjust the route in the ODM or on next reboot, it will be a gotcha.

routes are in inet0 device in the ODM database, not in sys0.

And in smitty tcpip => further config => routes => flush routing table, there's an option to include flushing the ODM entries (both for ip4 and ip6) - not exactly sure of the smit menu names, but you can find what i'm talking about.

HTH,

p5wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back