Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

downgrading from advanced server to professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovr

Technical User
Jan 10, 2002
US

I have only two computers on my net so want to downgrade from windows 2000 advanced server to windows 2000 professional. Also, some of the software I have is licensed only for windows 2000 professonl, not for servers. Can I downgrade to professional without reformatting my partition. How? I have a lot of programs installed and don't want to have to reinstall them all.

Thanks,

Dov (dov@inventek.com)

It is possible but hard to do. Best thing to do is create a base install of 2k pro on another box, do an in-place migration to it and then migrate the whole lot back again once youre happy its all working.

There are tids on how to migrate and also How to downgrade to 2k pro in the Technet and Deja archives but I wouldnt bother to be honest.

Hope that helps, Cheers, Andy.

Do yourself a favor man, don't even bother!!! The time and pain it will take to downgrade will be more than just installing Professional. Just backup any data you need and reinstall the applications. Are you a glutton for stress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back