Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Downgrading from Access2000 back to Access97 . . . now what? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverDrive

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2000
US
I removed Access 2000 and reinstalled Access 97, but now it dosent work. I remember somone posting something about this before, but I forgot how to fix it.

Someone Help!
Chance~

Did you try creating an empty Access 97 database and from 2000 exporting the tables to it? Or even visa versa create same empty database and import the tables.

Hope that is of some help.

Joanne

Hi Chance, what isn't working? Need more input!! X-) Gord
ghubbell@total.net

Hey Gord!

Well, I uninstalled Office 2000 and went back to Office 97 on a machine. When I did that, all the office applications work except for Access 97, it gives me a "Access cannot start because there is no license for it for this machine"

I am lost?

Any Ideas?

Thanks for the quick response bud.

Chance~

Chance, try another reinstall. If this fails, are you at all familiar with the registry? Maybe something was left behind in the uninstall of 2000 (Access 9.0) that should have been changed to Access 8.0. Our resident wiz with the office installs also recommended to try to install in a different directory if you dare. (Step by step though & keep a start up disc available)! Gord
ghubbell@total.net

Thanks a ton Gord . . . I will give it a whirl.

Chance~

What do you do by the way>?
(if ya dont mind)

just wonderin'

Besides helping folks at Tek-Tips? I try to sleep at least 3 hours a day! LOL No, I build databases using Microsoft Access (during the other 3 hours)! ;-) Gord
ghubbell@total.net

No you need a little programme that fixes just the bug you have. It's called aclic something .exe. Look on microsoft with your error message and you can download it ( about 10k ) Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

Thanks Peter! Chance, to the download! :) Gord
ghubbell@total.net

Well, I found something, but I am not sure if this will do it. I looked all night and this is all I came up with, if anyone knows (before I go ahead and do this) if this is the right thing or the wrong thing to do, lemme know.

Chance~

If you already have Access 2000 on the computer, and you want to add Access 97, there are some additional steps you must follow.

When you try to install Access 97, you have to avoid the "Microsoft Access can't start because there is no license for it on this machine" error message caused by the presence of the Hatten font, which is installed by Access 2000 and Office 2000. Also, if the Access 97 installation finds a newer version of the Msaccess.exe file on the computer, it will not install the 97 version of the Msaccess.exe file.

Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.

Find the Hatten.ttf file, and then rename it to Hatten.sav. You must do this to avoid the "Microsoft Access can't start because there is no license for it on this machine" error message when you start Access 97.

NOTE: You can find the Hatten.ttf file in the Fonts folder under the name, Haettenschweiler.

Find the existing version of the Msaccess.exe file, and then rename it to Msaccess.2k. Before you rename it, confirm that the version of the Msaccess.exe file is 9.0x by right-clicking the file, and then clicking Properties. Then click the Version tab

Install Access 97 or Office 97.

When prompted, click Change Directory to install Access 97 in a folder other than the folder in which Access 2000 is installed. For example, install the program in a folder named C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office97\.

After the installation is finished, find the Msaccess.2k file and rename it back to Msaccess.exe. Also, find the Hatten.sav file and rename it back to Hatten.ttf.

Right on Chance! Great contribution! Funny, today that wiz I spoke of mentioned he seemed to recall it had something to do with fonts...I shrugged it off thinking it was too far out there to possibly be. Guess I'm buyin' tomorrow!
s-)

Gord
ghubbell@total.net

I had the same problem and was told that Access 2000 leaves details in the system which needs to be cleared (there is a program on the M/S Office disk to do this however I can't remember what it is).

The only way that I was able to reinstall 97 (although you may not want to do this) was to re format my c: drive (which cleared all details of Access 2000)

I wanted both 2000 and 97 installed and therefore first I installed 97 onto my system, then installed 2000 however I had to save the program files in a sparate file (ie M/S Office2000).

When installing 2000 I was aked if I wanted to over write or upgrade my existing Access - in this case no.

I have now both M/S Access 97 and 2000 opn my systems running well.

"Access cannot start because there is no license for it for this machine"

I have come across this before. Look up the phrase on the web. I think there's something about this in Microsoft's Knowledgebase and there's an .exe file to download and apply. The .exe file is AcLicn97.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back