Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Downgrading AIX from 5.3 to 4.3.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejmilne

Technical User
Apr 23, 2003
GB
Hi,
I am trying to downgrade AIX 5.3 to 4.3.3 on a pSeries box I have. I have tried to boot from the AIX 4.3.3 CD's but it hangs when it is checking the firmware. Has anyone had similar problems? Do I also need to downgrade the firmware?

Thanks, Emma

Hi

Why you want to downgrade ????
Create an alt_disk_install copy to the Second Disk.

Yes you need to downgrade the Firmware. ( Planar, Adapter )

Hi Emma,

Which pSeries box is it. When it hangs, what code is displayed in the LCD (if you have an LCD)?

Brian.

For information, AIX 4.3 wont boot on Power 5 and probably on Power 4 processors based systems.

regards,

Hi,
Thanks for all your posts!
I'm downgrading because it is a test system and I need to replicate a production system here......I know it sounds a bit mad!

The LCD panel shows CA00E891 when it stops.

I will check the processer...

Emma

That rules me out with the error code. My F80 always stopped at 0c45 and it was due to the CD image not liking the SSA controller. We are now on 5.2 and are not planning to go back.

Sorry.

Looking for the progress-code CA00E891 on the infocenter website (see mrn's post) and the procedure it points to, I deduced that you are trying to boot 4.3.3 on p5 hardware. No can do!!!

You need to get older hardware in order to build a 433 system...

pre-p4 is ok for 4.3.3
p4 needs at least 5.1 (5.1 for static LPAR, 5.2 for dynamic DLPAR)
p5 needs at least 5.2 ml4 (5.2 for DLPAR, 5.3 for SPLPAR - micropartitioning)

HTH,

p5wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back