Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Downgrade Win8 to Win7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentrif

Technical User
May 17, 2011
US
Hi all!
Just bought HP laptop with Win8.
I need to install a scanner for the bank checks and I had just found out that Win8 is not compatible with the program.
How can I downgrade?

Also can someone tell me where do I go to get to the All Documents/Internet Options
If I could have make me 'run as an admin' I could had tried and this might be working.

Why are they making it so...crazy those Win8?

Actually, technome, the link you provide makes it explicit that the end user needs

>the media/key from a genuine, previously licensed OEM or retail product

i.e. a licence key from the product you are downgrading to.

Whilst they later state that

>Use genuine Windows media and a corresponding product key for the version of Windows that is eligible for downgrade

you need to understand that the version that is eligible is the target version. Microsoft don't necessarily make that as clear as they should.

Everyone!
I am a member of this community for years and I always knew that what is said here is the law!

This is for the first time I can't make 'ends meet'...

I was told I can install win7 but only if I wiped out win8. It will required reformatting hard drive. (by the chatting with company rep who sells win7).

That I can have win7 installed and it will be configured because there is discrepancies with drivers. (by the tech who helped me a lot in the past and I consider him knowleageable)

That win8 is the best thing and easy to use and it is how bill gates made it soi now everyone have to suffer (by Staples salesperson)...and I can absolutely not be downgrading any windows because it will screw something up and make pc not returnable. And win8 was around for a year so there is no equipments that are not compatible with it or I have to tell company they must make it compatible.

That win8 is only sold at BB because MS pays tghem to sell latest products even its crap and everyone is complaining and there lots of things not compatible with it (by Best Buy salesperson)

That I need to buy win7 pc and upgrade or downgrade should not even enter my thoughts. And yes he hearing people are complaining about not compatibility of win8 with anything. (by another computer tech who is selling, repairing and dealing with electronics)...

So people, I am VERY surprised that win8 is such controvercy! How is it possible that we can not get an answer to this?

BTW I am getting new laptop with win7 tomorrow so my question is not a question anymore. I am just concern that win8 is such a bitch:)

Downgrading Win 8 to Win 7, as is downgrading Win 7 to XP, means your allowed to install a lower OS, there is no such ability to maintain your present system setup, it is a clean install, no way around it.
Just as with XP, Win 7, and Win 8, there are very few programs which can not be made to work from a program which worked on lower OS to a newer OS. The issue is it at time it takes a good bit of knowledge/experience, in file permissions and registry permissions/changes and at times good tech support to succeed; often more effort expanded then downgrading to a lower OS. In a larger office atmosphere, spending hours to get a program to work is cost efficient, but very frustrating for small office IT personnel.
Worry not, at the rate Win 8 is going, it may go the way of Vista.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

Sorry technome, but you are talking nonsense. There is frankly nothing to do with the registry involved. And, frankly, very few other issues.

The biggest problem is that the base hardware platform has changed for Windows 8, which can potentially make installing anything older a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back