Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Downgrade Win8 to Win7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentrif

Technical User
May 17, 2011
US
Hi all!
Just bought HP laptop with Win8.
I need to install a scanner for the bank checks and I had just found out that Win8 is not compatible with the program.
How can I downgrade?

Also can someone tell me where do I go to get to the All Documents/Internet Options
If I could have make me 'run as an admin' I could had tried and this might be working.

Why are they making it so...crazy those Win8?

The only way to get Windows 7 would be to purchase it and then install on your machine. You might run in to all sorts of Driver problems too.

What money back policy does the Retail Outlet have? Perhaps there is a 30 day money back type of refund if you are not happy with the purchase?

Is purchasing a Scanner compatible with Windows 8 an option for you?

See Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\Programs\ Program Compatibility Troubleshooter

Windows 8 Compatibility Center

What do you mean by "All Documents/Internet Options"?

Have you tried right-clicking on the shortcut to the program, or the .exe, and selecting the "Run As Administrator" option? Do so even if your user is an Admin.

Try right-clicking on the actual Setup.exe and selecting the "Run As Administrator" option? Do so even if your user is an Admin.

This EXAMPLE (ONLY) might or might not work for you with your program it uses the built-in Administrator account.

"It seems that the "Run as administrator" command only gives you some administrative privileges, and they're not enough to install Java (and OpenOffice, by association). In order to get around this, you need to actually log into the built-in administrator. Open a Command Prompt (Admin) with admin rights by using the Windows Key + X and selecting that option. At the prompt, type:

net user administrator /active:yes

Then log out of your regular account and back in as the built-in administrator, where you might be able to install the update. When you're done, log back into your regular account and, for security purposes, disable the built-in administrator account using:

net user administrator /active:no "

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

How to open an Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 8

So...I am going to have to buy win7?
No thanks, I will take computer back and get one with something else.
I don't want to pay for downgrade, it is sounding stupid...to me.

If it is Windows 8 Pro, then I believe that you have downgrade rights

Hardly seems to be much of a downgrade right:

Perform the downgrade process to the eligible downgrade product using the media/key from a genuine, previously licensed OEM or retail product.

Seems to be saying "if you buy an earlier Windows version you can install it over this one" so you have to pay twice: once for Win8.x and once for a usable version of Windows. Otherwise why would you need another key as well as media?

Hello, monkey, yes I read that link and all it is to me what dilettante said...
I might misunderstood. What is your take on it? I don't have to pay?

technome,
please, help me out here.
I went to check this site out but I am stuck there.
What am I supposed to do to download Win7?
Or I would love Win XP more...

Thanks

dilettante:

Yea that's how it reads to me also, except further down, the article states:
If the software was previously activated, it cannot be activated online. In this case, the appropriate local Activation Support phone number will be displayed. Call the number and explain the circumstances. When it is determined that the end user has an eligible Windows license, the customer service representative will provide a single-use activation code to activate the software. Please note that Microsoft does not provide a full product key in this scenario.

So they seem to be saying (my words, might be wrong), use any old legal Windows 7 product key at this point, even one currently in use, and it's ok. You won't be able to activate it without calling Microsoft, but they will allow you to activate it... as long as your machine came with Windows 8 Pro, of course.

Here's another article I came across:

Oh, tarzan, thanks.
I had called MS yesterday. I need to take day off to get trough to them but I am calling!!!

technome said:
No you do not have to pay.... these downloads are Microsoft legal

Yes, you do have to pay. The download links are fine and free. But you still need an actual CD key to install them which you need to buy. This is not a free Windows OS, this is just a free download of the installer. The same thing can be accomplished buy simply borrowing a Windows 7 installation DVD from someone. But you still need the CD KEY also known as the license. Which is what costs money not the actual installation media.

Anyway to download you simply click on the links for the language you want.

To choose between x86 and x64, we cannot say. As it will depend on the computer you wish to install it on. If its a 32 bit PC you want the x86 version. If its a 64 bit PC then you want the x64 version. .

NOTE these are just the ISO images to burn to a DVD. They will not activate without a valid CD KEY for that version.

With that said, if the software can run on Windows 7. It should for all purposes also run on Windows 8. The core for Windows 8 is still mostly the same that windows 7 had with a few improvements. So anything that can run on Windows 7 should run the same way on Windows 8. Unless the Manufacturer of the software has tested this and knows it won't run for some technical reason I would at least try it out on a Windows 8 machine to be sure.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

vacunita,
thanks, I had just talked to MS tech support.
He told me that I have Win8.
If I had Win8.1 I could downgraded it to Win8 for free!
WHY did he tell me that after I had specifically mentioned that I did not want Win8 is beyond my understanding...

So...I will have to go find someone with windows 7 cd...

You know, I was following this thread more out of interest about the Win7 downgrade possibilities, but vacunita brings up a great point... Have you exhausted all options getting the scanner working in Windows 8? Reinstalling the OS can create other problems, I would only do it as a last resort.

Did you try linney's suggestion of Run as Administrator, either on the installer or on the program itself? Did you search the manufacturer's website for information about Windows 8 compatibility? What model scanner is it?

We talking scanner for the checks when you are your own bank. Its RDM EC7000i.
I am however is not comfortable with Win8 performance and I am freaking out without my cozy explorer and old fashion style.
I am honestly almost hysterical. I do not want Win8!
I want back to my cozy past with XP or 7.

I have however talked to a tech next door who said you can download utility to make 8 looks like 7.
However I am going to be nervous about scanner compatibility.

Going to probably return it. Thanks

If you use the Windows 8 Desktop Mode, it looks and functions exactly like Windows 7. There's nothing to download. The only thing that's really different is the Star Screen. But there are alternative Start Menus you can get for it.

Windows 8 Dekstop.
Win8DesktopFileExplorer.png

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

But you still need an actual CD key to install them which you need to buy"
No, no, no

Unless he has an illegal software install (unlikely), he should have an OEM license KEY, most likely on the Microsoft label on the computer case

after installing Win 7, you use the original key Win 8 key....

worse case scenario, the original does not work, a call to MS gets you a new one.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

WHY did he tell me that after I had specifically mentioned that I did not want Win8 is beyond my understanding"
WTF, was the guy a fill in for a real tech who went to lunch?

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back