Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

downgrade an OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kev01

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2003
GB
just a quick and easy question..
I have some PCs runnning Windows 2000 and Xp..i would like to downgrade them to win 98/ME.

What would be the quickest and easiest way to do that?

thanks

Kev,
If you were running Win98 on these machines previously then you can select to de-install XP (for 2000 I do not know if this feature was included) otherwise you are ShitOutaLuck.
Reinstall...

GSC

GSC is right about having to reinstall. But just out of general curiosity, why do you want to go backwards?

okay the easiest way is to erase everything and install windows 98/ME clean. ;p

Indeed, I too am quite curious as to why you want to go backwards, especially with MS dropping support for 98/ME. Not to mention the rather large security holes in those OS'es. But aside from that, yes, you'll have to erase everything and do a clean install.

----------------------------
I am Comptia A+ Certified

Curious also, but stay away from ME. 98se is a truly great os, but not as good as W2K.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin check out Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago

Thanks for your replies..
i wanted to downgrade for website testing (different OS and different browsers).

Thanks,
Kev01

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back