Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Doubt hdd impact

gamer87

Systems Engineer
Nov 7, 2023
BR
I finished copying the files to my 2.5" external HDD. I ejected the HDD in Windows 10 but the enclosure case LED was on and then I went to pull the USB 3.0 cable but when the cable came out of the PC port my hand hit the side of the HDD case and the case moved slightly to the right of the table. Did this event cause damage to the HDD?
ejetar2.png

I would venture to say that, with today's hardware, I would doubt that.
Twenty years ago, it definitely wouldn't have been a good thing, but the external HDDs of today are sturdy beasts. I think you'll find that it will be fine.
Besides, all you need to do to check is reconnect and peruse the files.

Why do some 2.5" HDDs not turn off after ejecting in Windows 10? Is this behavior common? Two people told me that they have several models of the same brand, some turn off, others do not, and this is a problem if when the hand hits the HDD case, the mechanical arm and the needle scratch the HDD. My HDD is very quiet. I only saw the LED turn on after ejecting in Windows 10. I have the models Seagate ST500LM030, WD WD10JPVX-08JC3T5, HGTS HTS541010A99E662
enclosure cases USB 3.0 Orico 25pw1 and Kesu 2530
If Windows 10 eject fails and does not power off the HDD, is there any other protection against hand shocks on the side of the case not damage or generates bad secxtors in hdd?

I can't say if it is common, I haven't used all that many models. I do have an SSD that I cannot eject. When it is connected via USB, the first time I looked for the icon in the taskbar to shut it down, like I do for all USB peripherals (except the printer). Never found it.
So I just pull the USB header out of the PC.
I don't like it, but it's that or shutting down the PC to unplug the drive. I've had this drive for years and, so far, no problems. So unplug it is.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back