Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Doubleclik filename in Explorer results in 'File Not Found' popup

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate901

Technical User
Nov 27, 2001
US
This problem is happening with Microsoft Word and other application associations as well so I don't think it's a MS Office problem but rather a general system problem. If I double-clik a DOC file WORD opens up but I get an error window saying the file or one of it's components is missing. The path is shown along with the file name and the file clearly exists. The associated application will start though and then I can use File - Open to go open the file. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Scroll down this thread and tell me if this is your problem.

Especially try notepad from the CL and the RUN box

thread616-564801

Hi Mapleleaf. Yea that looks like same problem I'm having. Tons of info there but I'll track what's going on there and also pass info to my IT guys as FYI. Thanks.

I'm not sure what the problem is.

Do I assume that you are running W2K SP3

What's interesting is that running from the CL produces NO error and the RUN box does.

When did this start happening to you ??. Recent Install or maybe a MS Hotfix ?? Just one box or many ??

We may some answers on Monday, but then again we have more questions.

Ian

Thanks Mapleleaf for your efforts and the links. I'm having problems with ACDSee image file viewer also though.
Nate

Nate,

I don't have much experience with ACDSee, (I use CompuPic) but what problem exactly are you having.

Ian

P.S. Did the links fix your Office problem

Mapleleaf,
Double-cliking files associated with ACDSee produces the same "Cannot Find File..." error so I don't think it's a Microsoft or MSOffice specific problem. I think it's some other Win2000 setup problem. It's on my work machine and our IT guys are looking into but I thought I'd post here to try and get help also. Doggone computers always full of surprises. Never a dull moment.
Thanks and have a good weekend.
Nate

Nate,

You're right about surprises. Now, that the sun has come out it's time to turn off the computer !!

Follow the other thread, we may have an answer on Monday.

Have fun,

Ian

Nate,
Ian has been very helpful in getting to the root of my problem in the other thread (I'd add a link but I'm not sure quite how to yet).

I'm curious to know if you have an app called "SuperEDI" installed on your machine?

Hi ssVBAdev. I looked and do not see SuperEDI installed on my machine. I just started working at this company and received a new machine already configured with some stuff (so my PC and I are just getting to know each other you might say). I don't see that program though. I had a Win2000 machine at my other job I left over 6 months ago and never had this problem. I recall seeing some stuff in the other threads about a possible link to Win2000 service pack and this could be the root of the problem since maybe a new service pack has come out since I've been away from Win2000 several months. I just checked and I'm running Service Pack 3 on build 2195. Not sure if that's the most recent. Thanks.

I have discovered the "Cannot Find File' problem is being caused by the Popup Stopper from Panicware that is installed on our machines. If you disable turn off this utility (Right-clik on icon and select 'Exit' in toolbar) you will not have the problem. Simply disabling the popup stopper (which allows popups) does not solve the problem unfortunately. Therefore you either have to remove the program using (Control Panel Add-Remove programs) or right-clik the icon in the toolbar, select 'Preferences' and un-check the box about letting the program run when Windows starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back