Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Double-joined, grouped select statement... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

theEclipse

Programmer
Dec 27, 1999
US
I am going to try and explain this without dumping my whole database into this little box and hoping you all read it ;-). The design should be normal enough. If needed, I can post the definitions.

I am setting up a multi-user CMS:
a table for content, a table for users, and a table for comments on content. Special concern: both Content and comments tables have a [tt]deleted[/tt] column for the purpose of data retention

For a site-map page, I am listing every content entry with its author and number of comments, among other things.:

Code:
SELECT
	COUNT(comments.id) AS commentCount,
	content.id,
	content.title,
	UNIX_TIMESTAMP(content.date) as date,
	content.text,
	users.name AS author
FROM content
LEFT JOIN comments ON comments.contentid=content.uid
JOIN users ON content.author=users.id
WHERE(content.deleted=false)
GROUP BY content.id
ORDER BY content.date DESC;
END;

I have tried all manner of where clauses and groupings in order to get the [tt]commentCount[/tt] field to only count the number of comments which are not deleted.

The solution is probably right in front of me...but I have been staring at this problem for about two weeks and made no progress.

Any ideas?
Thanks for reading.

Robert Carpenter
Remember....eternity is much longer than this ~80 years we will spend roaming this earth.
ô¿ô

Code:
SELECT x.commentCount
     , content.id
     , content.title
     , UNIX_TIMESTAMP(content.date) as date
     , content.text
     , users.name AS author
  FROM content
INNER
  JOIN users 
    ON users.id = content.author
LEFT OUTER
  JOIN ( SELECT contentid
              , COUNT(*) AS commentCount
           FROM comments 
          WHERE deleted = false
         GROUP
             BY contentid ) AS x
    ON x.contentid = [red]content.id[/red]
 WHERE content.deleted = false
ORDER 
    BY content.date DESC

r937.com | rudy.ca

r937 - thanks!

I was hoping to not have to go the sub-select route. Is there a way around that? Until I tried yours, I wasn't sure that PHP allowed subselects.

Otherwise, it seems to work just fine.

I am curious about your sql syntax though...is that a standard way of laying out SQL?

Robert Carpenter
Remember....eternity is much longer than this ~80 years we will spend roaming this earth.
ô¿ô

what's wrong with subselects? why don't you like them?

my syntax is pretty much standard SQL

the way the query is laid out, though -- that's my own particular style

easy to read, isn't it ;-)

r937.com | rudy.ca

About subselects: honestly...I thought that engines like PHP didn't support them. Plus, if I remember correctly, my database professor in college had a philosophy something like "Sub-selects are evil. Use them only when there is no other solution. Even then, try not to use them." But that could just be my bad memory too. :-D

Right, by syntax, I meant...uh...formatting. Well, its different, but I like it. ;-)

Robert Carpenter
ô¿ô

subselects are evil??? your professor must have been on mysql 3.23

by the way, php has nothing to do with subselects

r937.com | rudy.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back