Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

double catagories 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiRRo

IS-IT--Management
Mar 21, 2003
NL
Hi people, i have an problem with catagories. After creating catagories, in one level the catagorie doubles itself, can you tell me why and how i can resolve this problem please? Thanx!!

Greatings,

MiRRo

Hi, I've got an dimension custad1d if i look at the catagories of this dimension before generating catagories then they are correct.
The data in custad1d is like: A >500
B >1000
C >2000
After generating catagories: A
A >500
B
B >1000
C
C >2000
Maybe I put custad1d after generating catagories and then save the model then run the cube????? i dont know.

Thanx

MiRRo

You have to suppress the category before generate once more.

The A B and C category it's perhaps due to a previous generation ?

Thx, you are correct it is due to a previous generation. I will generate catagories and run the cube then you will hear from me if it worked.

Thank you RVLF!!!

MiRRo

Once in a while you should "Clean House" which will automatically delete categories that have not been used in a while. Once a dimension is made in Tranformer, it will stay there untill you get rid of it.

Also what you think are duplicates may not be duplicates according to Transformer if you are using strings as measurements. For Example "CUST 1" is not equal to "CUST 1 " (notice this extra space). Also "CUST 1" is not equal to "Cust 1".

Good luck
Bruce

Hi,

What RVLF said is correct. But its still better is you 'clean house' rather than supress categories because then in the future you may have to remember what are the categories you had if u are adding new categories in the level.
Also, in the 'clean house' process, remember that it will effect the special category(if any) and so u may have to take care of that too...

Vish

Hi, nothing helped I think I discript my problem wrong. I will try to explain my problem again. I have got an catagorie custat1, if i look in the datawarehouse i can see that query cutstat1 contains code A discription A>500,
B '' '' B>1000
C C>1500
i have got also custat1d (custat1 + d is discription) is the one i need because there is already an code and discription in it. So when i generate the catagories this is then what i get. A
A>500
B
B>1000 etc etc.
I only need A>500, B>1000 etc. etc.
What do i need to do to get this, thx for all your replies before, i really appriciate it.

Greetings,

MiRRo

Hi,
What is the Data Source you are using? Please check it in by getting the distinct values in the perticular field

Vish

Hi, I am using .iqd's, if I understand you right, I need to look in Impromptu to check it. And then?? Thx.

MiRRo

Hi,

See the nature of your problem what i think is that you are getting unwanted categories. What you want is A > 500, B >1000 and so on while you are getting A, B, C too... in addition to the categories you want.
The problem what i am seeing is that you may have the values A, B, C coming from the Database (iqd). So, what you need to do is check whether the unwanted values exist in the DB. What you can do is to write a script like
' select distinct custat1d from <tablenames> where <all the conditions>'
and see if the result you get also has A, B etc with the result u wanted. If you are getting these results then either u have to change the DB or supress the categories

Vish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back