Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dotted lines in photoshop 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladykira

Technical User
Jun 8, 2001
GB
please, its really starting to wind me up, you know the simple things you try to do are always the ones you cant figure out.

All i need to do is draw a straight line 1 pixel in photoshop but it needs to be dotted/dashed.

Please help

ps I have to draw lots so making a line and rubbing bits out is not an option

Can you draw one, and erase parts out, then do multiple duplicate layers till you have all you need? DeZiner
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember that amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic

thanks DeZiner but I dont think thats an option as multiple layers etc will get a bit messy after a while, I was after a solution that was a little cleaner and easier to stop a complicated bit of work get even more complicated.
I am amazed that photshop does not have this tool! In the end I exported the artwork to freehand (I would have used illustrator but felt that was a bit silly after adobe let me down with the whole thing in photoshop)|.

Cheers anyway

Lady

Ladykira,
The best way is to create a rectangular brush with a very high spacing. Then find your starting point and for a sraight line, hold shift and draw across the screen. Just remember that the brush will always be angled in the direction you created it, so to make an angled line place it on a new layer and rotate the layer. I've copied the instructions on creating a custom brush from the Photoshop Help file and pasted it below.

This should do the trick. There are about three other ways that i can think of, but this one is the easiest.
Chadoekyll

To create a custom brush shape:

1 Use the rectangle marquee () with Feather set to 0 px to select part of an image to use as a custom brush.

2 Choose Define Brush from the Edit menu.

3 Name the brush and click OK.

4 In the New Brush dialog box, specify Spacing. (See Setting brush options.)

5 To make the brush placement more accurate, make sure that Anti-aliased is selected. (See Setting brush options.)

6 Click OK.

You can also set the spacing and anti-alias options by selecting the brush from the pop-up palette in the options bar and clicking the brush sample. If you make changes, click the New Preset button () to save your changes as a new preset item.

1. create the smallest unit of the line you want to use, for example 2 or 3 x 1 pixel
2. mark it
3. save it as a new sample
4. create a rectangular mask of the size you finally need, for example 1000 x 1 pixel
5. fill the mask with the sampled image

Ugg! Just make a few dots, select them, define them as a brush and use the stroke path option. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back