Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dot Net Developer vs Sharepoint System Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

justGettingStarted

Programmer
Aug 31, 2011
CA
Hello and thanks for reading.

I have the option to take on a new technical area. The choices are Sharepoint Administration and Development or C-Sharp Dot Net Development. I’m trying to pick the technology that compliments my existing skill sets. I wouild appreciate feeback from anyone who has gone down a similar path.

I am familiar with both in a very basic/beginner way. I maintain a small Sharepoint site for my team. It’s like a ticketing, project management and document management setup. I have also written a few code snippets in C-Sharp. Mostly functions which are integrated into crystal reports.

I support 3 applications and generally fix user issues, GUI customization, database procedure/trigger development, change management, managing upgrades. My strengths are Crystal Reports, PL/SQL, and Organization of information and resources. For a career trajectory, in 3-5 years I'd like to be primarily supervising technical people and having 1 or 2 technical tasks for myself.

I do however, have required learning for 2013. I am familiar with these tasks in a very basic/beginner way; however, I am required to be "dangerous" by the end of the year. :) Those items are People Supervision, Access, and Visual Basic. The people supervision is the primary task.

It sounds like a simple question to me.

Are you a programmer? Big difference between administration and programming.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

I've found that programming generally tends to be a means to an end. The money isn't in writing the code, but in thinking up how to solve the problem - the new. Where I work, a few years back I pushed through a management package - a powershell toolkit. I did the original code in C#. Once I convinced enogh people that it was useful and worthwhile, another team actually took over writing the code. To this day I still provide input into each release. Something like a dozen patents have come out of it so far.

It's nice to be able to prototype an idea, but that isn't the end all. In the end, it's creating the ideas that become marketable solutions.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back