Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dot Net 3 and Visual Studio 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

golcarlad

Programmer
Nov 23, 2004
GB
After quick Google searches cant seem to make sense of how .Net 3.0 installs into VS 2005 - does anybody know how to do this as I want use LINQ with XML docs - seems much better than traditional methods.

Cheers

Just to clarify, basically you cant use this technology in version 2005 of Visual Studio?

Nope it needs framework 3.5 and VS 20008.

And I don't see the point of using it.

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

My Blog
"In a system where you can define a factor as part of a third factor, you need another layer to check the main layer in case the second layer is not the base unit." - jrbarnett

I have looked at a video showing the difference to quering XML using LINQ and the old ways using XPath etc, your code is much less and its much more readable (the same goes for SQL) - I am sure that everyone will have adopted this within the next significant release of Visual Studio and .Net 3x.

personally I feel linq to sql isn't that great. have you noticed all the examples are simple [tt]select * from table where a = b[/tt] or [tt]select column1, count(column2) from table group by column1[/tt]. these are very simple queries. I want a ORM that can handle any sql I can think up. in the crudest sense I want object oriented tsql. I can't get that from linq. plus linq to sql's query optimizer fails with complex queries. I'll stick with a more robust solution like LLBL for my DAL requirements

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

Brilliant - you would have thought they might have thought about that sort of stuff wouldnt you!

golcarlad said:
Brilliant - you would have thought they might have thought about that sort of stuff wouldnt you!
i think it was a consious(sp) trade off between effeciency, flexibility and simplicity.
1. MS needed/wanted something new for the next release.
2. MS promotes a RAD (rapid application development) life cycle.
3. MS wants the average joe/jane to build a simple application.

This makes the current version linq (to sql) a great addition to the .net framework. I think the bigger problem is MS promoting Linq as the next cure-all for data access requirements.
Linq to sql is another tool which has a time and place for use. I feel the use is much more limited than what where lead to believe.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back