Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dot matrix printer vs. XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcklsn

Programmer
Mar 16, 2003
US
I'm a Windows XP and VS.NET user. I have an Oki ML391turbo dot matrix printer on my system. When I print out listings from within VS, the printing is not spaced correctly, either horizontally or vertically. Windows overrides the front panel setup of the printer and, using True Type fonts, is sending bitmap printing information to the printer, rather than sending ASCII characters to this character oriented printer. The printer can handle this, but Windows is doing a bad job of sending the True Type characters. The spacing is wrong, both horizontally and vertically. This is true of the Okidata emulation, the Epson emulation, and the IBM ProPrinter emulation. The obvious solution for me is to use the generic/text-only printer driver and let the printer use its own character set and spacing. Unfortunately, there is a bug in Visual Studio so that, when you select this printer driver, VS sends the first 3 or 4 lines of the listing and then nothing more. Does anyone know either how to get the True Type fonts to print correctly on a dot matrix printer, or how to get VS to print entire listings to the generic printer driver? HELP!

this is what i read somewhere

--------------

P2200 printer speed

My NEC P2200 dot matrix printer prints very slowly - it takes 10 minutes to print a single page from Word for Windows. How can I increase the printer speed?

A Pinwriter dot matrix printer can print a text in Windows in two different ways, either using the printer’s internal fonts (text mode) or by using Windows TrueType fonts (graphic fonts = graphics mode).

When using TrueType graphic fonts, the speed is dependant on the graphic resolution setup in the printer driver. If you set the maximum graphic resolution in the printer driver to, for example, 360 x 360, the print quality is very good but the printer is very slow as each line has to be printed several times.

The fastest way to print is using the printer's internal fonts (text mode). In Windows, the icon in front of the font name indicates whether the font is an internal font or a TrueType font. Truetype fonts have a TT in front of the name and the internal printer fonts have a printer icon.

The fastest speed for the P2200 is achieved using the draft 12 high speed fonts 168 characters per second.

------

u can go to you printers manufacturers website for more info too.

-
mobajwa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back